Catamounts claim championships

Men’s basketball

After a hard fought game on the road in Stony Brook, the Catamounts took turns cutting the net of their championship game, one in which they overcame the odds to beat the No. 1 seeded team and claim the America East crown.

America East Rookie of the Year, first-year Four McGlynn, scored a game-high 14 points while the Reggie Lewis Most Outstanding Player of the game, sophomore Brian Voelkel, provided game-highs of 15 rebounds and seven assists to aid in the Cats’ win.

“It’s a surreal feeling right now. We were talking earlier today about our very first meeting back in July and how we talked about getting to this point, and today it was here and we were able to beat a very good Stony Brook team. And I would like to congratulate them on a great year,” said head coach John Becker. “I would like to thank our fans for coming down and making that long trip.”

With the championship title in their hands, the Cats will face No. 16 seed Lamar on March 14 at 6:30 p.m. in Dayton, Oh. in one of the First Four games in the first round of the NCAA tournament. The winner will advance to play No. 1 seed North Carolina on March 16.

Skiing

After piling up 832 points, the most ever by an NCAA Champion, Vermont captured its sixth NCAA title in program history and first since 1994.

The alpine ski team put together a 1-2-5 finish in the women’s slalom and a 2-7 finish in the men’s slalom to aid in the victory.

Sophomore Kate Ryley skied to the first place spot, marking the third Catamount to win a slalom title at the NCAA’s overall on the women’s side.

On the Nordic side, senior Amy Glen won the women’s 15k classic as the women went 1-3-5. Senior Franz Bernstein chipped in with a third place finish in the men’s 20k classic.

UVM made one more piece of history in the tournament by winning by 161 points over second place Utah, a new record for the NCAA.