Catamounts prepare for playoff push

Riding a four-game winning streak, men’s basketball topped it off by beating UMaine on Tuesday night at Patrick Gym.

With an overall record of 15-9 as of Feb. 7, the Catamounts recently beat UAlbany, a team they lost to in last year’s America East Championship.

In the rematch game members of the Vermont team set University records.

Senior guard Sandro Carissimo scored a game high of 17 points and by doing so surpassed the 1000-point mark for his tenure at UVM.

Senior forward Brian Voelkel had eight assists in the contest that brought him to the all-time assists leader for the Cats.

“We have six more regular season games so it is important that we continue to get better and play our best basketball in March,” head coach John Becker said.

The men’s team has won 11 of their last 12 games, only falling to Stony Brook by three points in a matchup Jan. 24.

“We played the 26th hardest non-conference schedule in the country, but I think it prepared us well for league play, which is most important,” Becker said.

On the contrary, the women’s team had hovered around .500 for the first nine games of the season and then hit some bumps in the road.

“We began the season with fairly high expectations, as we always will, so our record is disappointing,” head coach Lori Gear McBride said.

“We have seen some gains and improvement since the start of the season but they have not translated as much as we would like into success in games,” McBride said.

With the season coming to a close, and six games left on each team’s schedule, both coaches stressed that their teams will need to finish strong.

Both teams’ next games will be against UMass Lowell Feb. 12, with the women on the road and the men’s squad hosting the River Hawks at Patrick Gym.