Cats earn win and tie

On Wednesday Oct. 10, Vermont traveled to Boston University and earned a 0-0 draw in double-overtime.

Vermont junior Connor Leland and the Terriers goalkeeper Nick Thomson were both credited with seven saves in the game preventing offensive chances from both sides to materialize into goals.

In the 85th minute, BUs Max White received his second yellow card of the game and was ejected from the field. In the final five minutes of regulation and in both overtime periods, BU played with a man down, but Vermont was unable to capitalize on the advantage.

“I thought the guys did a good job tonight. We managed the game well and matched their energy and quality,” said Vermont head coach Jesse Cormier in a Vermont Athletics press conference. “BU is an excellent team. They are very dangerous and to get a clean sheet on their field is an accomplishment. I am very proud of effort and the heart we showed tonight.”

On Saturday Oct. 13, Vermont defeated Binghamton on their home turf in Vestal, N.Y. 1-0 with a late game goal after another double-overtime game. The win keeps the Catamounts position at first place in America East standings and improves their season record to 6-4-4. The win was also Cormiers 70th career victory with the Catamounts.

In the 104th minute of the 110-minute game, senior Joe Losier converted a penalty kick to defeat the Bearcats, 1-0. Losier is 5-for-5 in penalty kicks this season and leads the team in scoring with six goals.

Binghamton really came out with a great game plan and attitude and stifled us. We didn’t play well on the offensive end, but we defended well, said Cormier in a Vermont Athletics press conference. We made it difficult for Binghamton in that third of the field.

Even though the Bearcats had a 16-6 shot advantage, Connor Leland earned seven saves his second straight shutout and fourth of the year.

Vermont will be back in action on Saturday Oct. 20 to host New Hampshire at Virtue Field.