Cats lacrosse drops another at home

Ê

On March 24, the men’s lacrosse team braved cold weather and hosted the Brown University Bears at Virtue Field. Unfortunately for the Catamounts, they were outmatched by Brown’s offense and added another loss to their record, ending the game at 14-5 in Brown’s favor.

Vermont’s Andrew Muscara won the face off against Brown’s Tommy Capone to start the period.

During these first few minutes of play, Vermont was strong and confident, working their passes and making shots.

Three minutes into the period, a timeout was called. By then, UVM had already made two unsuccessful shot attempts and Brown just one.

Out of the timeout the Catamounts were still in control of the ball, yet unable to sink a shot. Four minutes in, Vermont’s Geoff Worley scored the first goal of the game.

For the duration of the next few minutes, Vermont ran a tight defense, keeping control of the ball and holding control of their passes. Yet, upon the Bears’ possession, first-year Nick Piroli did not hesitate and scored Brown’s first goal just minutes later.

Possession continued to switch back and forth between the teams as each looked to score their next goals. With less than five minutes remaining in the period, Brown scored once again.

With just two minutes remaining, UVM regained possession and tried to end the period in a tie. Due to a dropped pass, Brown was able to steal back the ball, charging Vermont’s goal and scoring yet again. The period ended as the Catamounts made one last attempt at Brown’s goal, only to come up short, ending the period 3-1.

Vermont started the second period in control, circling around the goal, passing and attempting shots. However, Brown’s defense was too tight and kept the Catamounts at bay.

Quickly into the second, Brown’s Sam Hurster and Piroli racked up back-to-back goals, giving the Bears a comfortable 5-1 lead. The Bears again continued to charge past Vermont’s defense and made another shot attempt, only to come up short thanks to a good save from goalie David Barton.

The rest of the period was filled with multiple shot attempts on Barton and a lack of action for Brown’s goalie.

In the last three minutes of play, junior Drew Philie helped Vermont get back on their feet, scoring for the Catamounts.

Vermont earned possession right out of the next faceoff and charged Brown’s goal. In control of the ball, Worley shot and sank it into the back of the Bears’ net, bringing the score to 5-3.

The Catamounts continued to win possessions and were able to keep it. For the next few minutes UVM fought fiercely to keep control of the ball and to make their plays.

As the last few seconds ticked down, it looked as though the score would be left with the Catamounts trailing by two points. However, with one second left in the half, Piroli scored on Barton, ending the period with the Catamounts down by three.

Coming out in the third period, with an assist from Worley, Philie earned another goal for Vermont. Possession continued to switch back and forth as neither team was able to hold control.

With two minutes left Worley made what would be the last goal for the Catamounts. By the end of the third period, Brown had secured a comfortable lead, outscoring the Catamounts 9-5.

Throughout the fourth period UVM was unable to hold possession of the ball as both their offense and defense began to fall apart.

“I think we just got to stay positive and keep rolling, we have one win, if we get a couple more we’ll be real positive,” said sophomore Connor McNamara.

Before the end of the game, Brown scored yet another five points, advancing their lead to a solid 14-5, leaving the Catamounts trailing far behind.

“Our guys understand that [conference games] are still what we’re fighting for,” said head coach Ryan Curtis. “If we were 6-1 right now that wouldn’t change what we do going into the conference.”

The Catamounts will go on to play their first conference game against the fourth seeded Stony Brook next Saturday, March 31 at 1p.m.