Cats pick up two, move to third in AE

Ê

Vermont women’s lacrosse held off two competitors over the weekend, winning both their matches and earning their first conference win. 

On March 29, Vermont faced UC Davis on Virtue Field in a non-conference game.  

Vermont made an impression early in the game, earning a 6-2 lead at the end of the first period. By halftime though, UC Davis had managed to outscore the Catamounts and went into the half only behind Vermont by three points with a 9-6 score. 

The tight game held in the second half as UC Davis and Vermont went back and forth on scoring as the Aggies attempted to slice the lead. With 4:58 left of regulation time, UC Davis was within one with a 14-13 score. 

With 52 seconds remaining, first-year Jessica Roach scored to solidify the win for Vermont, 16-13. 

“We came out strong with a scoring flurry in the first half. [UC Davis] came out hard and they contested us to everything,” said head coach Jen Johnson. “They work hard. They made us work for everything.”

Sophomore Sydney Mas and senior Allison Pfohl earned their 100-career point goals during the game against UC Davis. 

“We had to get out of our heads and just keep scoring, keep going after ground balls, and winning the draw obviously is something that is really important in this game,” said Pfohl. “And I think we really turned it around towards the end and kept our momentum going. A couple of really important goals happened right at the end and it really kept us in it.”

On March 31, Vermont competed once again on Virtue Field against the University of New Hampshire in America East action. With this win, Vermont improves to 8-3 overall and 1-1 in the America East conference. 

The score was tied at 6-6 as the teams headed into halftime. The Catamounts dominated as they came back on the field for the second period with a run of 10 straight goals. Vermont outscored the Wildcats 12-2 and managed to hold their scoring for almost 25 minutes in the period. 

Eight different players scored in the game, but senior Adison Rounds scored the most for the Catamounts with six goals, one of them being her 100-career goal. 

“We knew we had the momentum going into the second half; we started the second half pretending the game was 0-0, and we really wanted to take it to them,” said Rounds. “It’s awesome to get a conference win, especially on a beautiful day at Virtue Field; I think it just sets the tone for upcoming games.”

Vermont defeated UNH 18-8 and earned their first conference win. 

“We played well in the first half; we just weren’t finishing and we had a ton of opportunities scoring,” said Johnson. “We talked about at half time continuing going to the goal hard and we just finished our shots. And I think the other thing too [was that] in the second half we dominated drop controls, which gave us the possession time we needed to score.”

The Catamounts will travel to play Boston College on Wednesday, April 4.