Cats win third carnival

Vermont won their third carnival of the season, the Dartmouth Carnival, by 162 points. Vermont compiled 982 points on Feb. 10 and 11, followed by Dartmouth with 820 points and New Hampshire with 722.

On day one of the carnival, Vermont swept the podium for men’s grand slalom. Sophomore Jonathan Nordbotten won the event with a time of 1:48.98, first-year Bobby Farrell was second with 1:49.07 and junior Sean Higgins came in third with a time of 1:49.24. Junior Tim Kelley finished it off with a fourth place finish.

In women’s GS, sophomore Kate Ryley won her first race of the season, putting down a 55.89 second run to finish with a time of 1:53.54. Teammate sophomore Elise Tefre finished fifth with a time of 1:54.60, while senior Amanda McDonald finished 16th.

Two Nordic races were run on day one. In the women’s 5K freestyle, Vermont finished 2-3-5 as senior Caitlin Patterson fell to Dartmouth rival Sophie Caldwell by three seconds. Caldwell finished the race in 13:47.7, while Patterson did so in 13:50.2. Teammate senior Lucy Garrec completed it in 13:51.3, while senior Amy Glen finished in a time of 14:07.9.

“You really have to get going right from the start for the 5Ks. The snow was really firm and fast. I just didn’t quite have it today,” Patterson said. “I wanted a little bit more. Sophie won, which is great, and a bunch of my teammates were up there in the front so it was a really fun race.”

In the men’s 10K freestyle, the Catamounts claimed a third place finish as senior Alex Howe completed the event in 26:20.8. Middlebury’s Patrick Johnson won the event, followed by Dartmouth’s Sam Tarling.

Vermont had a big day, sweeping the women’s 15K classic and men’s slalom, as well as taking two of three podium positions in women’s slalom.

The 15K classic ended in a photo finish as Lucy Garrec edged out teammate Amy Glen by two-tenths of a second, finishing in 47:47.4 and 47:48.6 respectively. Caitlin Patterson took third with a time of 48:25.8.

On the Alpine side, defending NCAA champion and UVM junior Tim Kelley skied a 45.46 second first run and a total time of 1:31.78. Teammates Bobby Farrell and Jonathan Nordbotten rounded out the podium. Sean Higgins took fourth.

Elise Tefre won the women’s slalom in a time of 1:38.33, while teammate Kate Ryley placed third with a time of 1:38.97.

The final carnival of the EISA Circuit season is the Williams Carnival this weekend in Massachusetts. It will be the final carnival before EISA championships in two weeks. Top performers there will earn a trip to Bozeman, Mont. in order to compete in the NCAA ski championships March 7-10.