Corran’s salary increases

Earlier this year, UVM’s athletic director, Robert Corran, signed a three-year contract extension. 

His new contract, which runs through June 30, 2016, updates his base salary to $235,000 a year. 

This is a $35,000 increase from his previous contract and a 68 percent salary increase from when he was first hired for the 2003-2004 season. 

Tom Gustafson, UVM‘s vice president for administration and University relations, cites Corran’s salary as below average when compared to other athletic directors within the America East and Hockey East action as the main reason for the increase.

“I agreed to get him to the median of his peers,” Gustafson said in an interview with the Burlington Free Press. 

“We’ve not had any NCAA problems … we are dealing with pretty marginal facilities, and I think he does a great job,” he said.

During his time at UVM, Corran has overseen the hiring of notable coaches Kevin Sneddon of mens hockey, Mike Lonergan and Jon Becker of mens basketball, and Sharon Dawley and Lori McBride of womens basketball.

Under his leadership the Catamounts have taken home the America East’s Academic Cup seven consecutives times. 

In the 2012-13 school year, only three athletic programs earned winning records while other popular sports such as field hockey and lacrosse have seen little success. 

He is ranked sixth in America East and seventh in Hockey East among his peers.