Cross country driven to improve

After finishing 16th out of 34 teams at last season’s NCAA Northeast Regionals, the Vermont women’s cross country team will look to build on that success. 

The men’s squad, which finished 21st out of 33 teams, will look for an even greater level of improvement.

Neither team will have to look far, however, as both teams have a proven performer who can certainly lead the way with their skilled running.

On the women’s side, senior Aly Millett returns following a junior campaign in which she placed in the top 10 in three out of her five races, a performance which earned her a spot on the America East All-Conference team.

This success followed a 2007 season in which Millett was named to the All-New England team at season’s end.

As for the men’s team, they will look to senior Doug Maisey, who not only placed in the top 10 in all five races he competed in, but also was the top-placing Vermont runner in each of these races as well.

Maisey also earned All-Conference honors following a 10th place finish at the America East Championships.

Each of these combined performances also earned Maisey a spot on the All-New England team.

With a stable of young runners behind Maisey and Millett, both the men’s and women’s cross-country teams will look to turn some heads and make some noise not only within the conference but throughout the Northeast in 2009.