Cynic power rankings of the week

1. Chicago Bulls (49-19)

The Bulls are 9-1 in their last 10 games. With wins against Miami (2), Orlando and Atlanta, Chicago has emerged as the team to beat in the East.

Derrick Rose continually improves and seems to have the MVP race on lock.

2. Los Angeles Lakers

(49-20)

Kobe insisted his 90-minute shoot around after the Miami loss was just that, but really it was a pretty clear message the Lakers are not going down without a serious fight.

The loss was followed by two huge wins against Dallas and Orlando. Their early season struggles are behind them and the Lakers are showing why they are the reigning champs, and subsequently playing like such.

3. San Antonio Spurs

(55-13)

The Spurs are never flashy but at the end of the night, more times than not, they have the win.

An embarrassing loss in Miami won’t phase such a veteran team. At this point there just waiting for the playoffs to roll around.

4. Boston Celtics

(48-19)

Losers of three out of their last four games, and struggling to win against mediocre opponents, the Celtics have been on a slide since the Kendrick Perkins trade.

Now tied for the No. 1 seed with Chicago, Boston must prove they can win with their new look and challenge the Bulls for Eastern Conference supremacy.

5. Dallas Mavericks

(48-21)

It was either Miami or Dallas here and I gave the edge to Dallas for one reason: They have been consistently winning and when they lose it is not by much.

Before their loss to the Lakers, they lost their last three all by 1 point margins. The only question for Dallas is whether or not they can overcome an inevitable letdown in the playoffs.