FACE OFF

Question 1: Early on, Packers new QB Aaron Rodgers has outplayed the legend he is replacing, Brett Favre. If you had a game today, who would you want starting for your team, Rodgers or Favre?

Zack

Let me say first off that Aaron Rodgers has been overly impressive in his first couple of starts for the Packers. If I had to choose a quarterback to start for my team today, I would say Rodgers, as he is curÂrently outplaying Favre.

That being said, the iron man is still learning a new system, and when it all comes down to it, Favre is the seasoned veteran.

Rodgers is the man of the moment, but when the season winds down and my team’s playoff chances are on the line, I want Favre under center, hands down.

Eli

Rodgers has played very well behind a strong O-line, the same O-line Favre played well behind. Favre is the quarterback who holds virtually every important record for a quarterback in NFL history, and is still pulling tricks out of his sleeves (see plays from week one along with the 2007 divisional playoffs).

Aaron Rodgers? He went to Cal… Um… Started two games for Green Bay and topped 300 yards once.

So today, even in his older age, I’d take the NFL record holder Favre over the three-time starter Rodgers.

Score: Zach- 1 Eli- 0

Green Bay is Mr. Rodgers’ neighborhood.

Question 2: Despite being in the middle of a playoff race, the Milwaukee Brewers fired manager Ned Yost with just a handful of games remaining. Was this a good move?

Zack

Bad move. Absolutely terrible move.

Sure, the Brewers are in the middle of an epic collapse the likes of the 2007 Mets, but firing a class act like Ned Yost in this spot is a bad idea by Milwaukee management.

The team needs to shake things up, but firing one of the men behind their impressive turnaround at the time when they need a solid leader the most is the wrong decision in my book.

Now the Brew Crew is stuck with Dale Sveum, the man who couldn’t even figure out how to coach third base for the Red Sox.

Eli

Team chemistry is so important in baseball. And chemistry down the stretch determines the season if your team is in contention.

This could be considered a terrible move, but maybe it’ll shake things up enough in the locker room to brew up better play out of Milwaukee.

They have the tools to get back to form. If Sabathia continues to be dominant and Sheets can step it up these last few games, the Brewers can take the wild card.

I like this move because it’ll seriously mix things up and in a drought that’s what a team needs.

Score: Zach 2 Eli 0

Time to start drinking if you’re a Brewer’s fan.

Question 3: In a trade that shocked Red Sox Nation this summer, Manny Ramirez was sent packing to the Dodgers while the Sox received outfielder Jason Bay from the Pirates. Two months later, both teams are playoff-bound. So who got the better end of the trade, L.A., Boston, or is it simply a push?

Zack

You can call me biased, but I think without a doubt, the Red Sox got the better end of the deal.

Granted, Jason Bay probably won’t ever hit 600 home runs, and Manny is a surefire Hall of Famer, but Bay is a younger, cheaper alternative for a team who has made a strong youth push in the past few seasons.

Manny may have the better numbers right now, but during this off-season when the Red Sox can afford to keep Bay and add a much needed expensive arm, while the Dodgers are stuck paying $20 million a year to a man who needs serious psychological help, you can tell me who got the edge.

Eli

Manny Ramirez has batted .400, hit 14 home runs and drove in 44 runs in just 43 games with the Dodgers. Anyone who appreciates baseball can admire that stat line.

Bay is hitting a respectable .300 and has sent eight out of the park for Beantown, but the numbers don’t lie. The Dodgers are on the receving end of an eruption of production from Manny.

Jason Bay is a fine player and seven years younger than Manny, but the Dodgers got a Hall of Famer for the stretch run. The Dodgers reap the benefits of this trade … for now.

Final Score:

Zach- 2 Eli -1

I miss my Manny.