Field hockey season starts off strong

The UVM field hockey team has come out strong to start off the 2016 season.

The Cats are 4-1, and are undefeated at Virtue Field.

The Catamounts were also one of only 17 teams in the country to start the season going 2-0.

The last time UVM field hockey started off 2-0 was in 2007, when they advanced to the America East semifinal.

This year, UVM was ranked fourth in the America East pre-season poll, according to UVM athletics.

Co-captaining the team this year are senior midfielder Anne-Marie Farmer and sophomore fullback Olivia Hurd.

Farmer attributes much of this year’s success to team unity. “During the preseason we were able to a lot of team bonding and activities,” she said.
In addition to having such a close-knit group, Farmer also said talent sets this years team apart.

“I’ve been here for four years, and this is the most talented team that I’ve been on,” she said.

She also talked about becoming a 70 minute team.

“Whether it’s coming out from the first whistle and setting the tone or maintaining a lead throughout the second half, once we can finally put a collective 70 minutes together that’s when we’ll be our best,” Farmer said.

In goal this year is junior Lena Benwood.

So far this season, Benwood has only allowed eight goals and has tallied 25 saves.

A strong offense will be key to the Catamounts’ success.

Sophomore forward Landon Warren has three goals this year and sophomore attacker Rachel Picchi has scored two, according to UVM athletics.

Sophomore forward Carla Godsman has also scored twice this season, including an overtime winner.

In the 2015 season, UVM finished fourth in the America East standings and fell to Stanford University in the America East tournament.

When it comes to aspirations for this season, Farmer is focused on being in the moment and not getting too caught up in long-term goals.

“Obviously we want to make it out to California come play-offs, but our big goal right now is just getting better every single day,” she said.