Former Catamounts sent off to Sochi

Earning six national championship trophies since 1980, the UVM ski team continues to pump out world-class skiers.

Five UVM alumni are currently participating in the 22nd Winter Olympic Games in Sochi.

The athletes will be highlighting both the University’s ski and hockey programs, according to UVM athletics.

This will mark the 160th straight Winter Olympics where UVM has been represented, according to UVM athletics.

Two alumni representing the University team are Patrick Sharp, of the Chicago Blackhawks and Martin St. Louis, of the Tampa Bay Lightening.

Both Sharp and St. Louis are members of the Canadian national team.

Hockey and basketball are two teams that attract a lot of ticket sales at UVM, according to UVM athletics.

However, the varsity ski team continues to be competitive every season, according to UVM athletics.

Joining Sharp and St. Louis in Sochi will be skiers Elli Terwiel ’15, along with Kris Freeman ’99 and Lowell Bailey ’05.

These three skiers will be representing the United States, according to UVM athletics.

Freeman and Bailey are returning veterans of the Olympics, competing in their fourth and third games respectively.

Terwiel, who was named All-American during her first two years at UVM, will be making her Olympic debut this year as she represents Canada in Sochi.

Terwiel has taken the year off from school to focus on training for the Olympic games, with the Canadian National Ski Team.

The five athletes competing this winter will put UVM’s total to 40 Winter Olympians.

Seven of which have been hockey players, while the remaining athletes were all members of the ski team.

Vermont’s ski program continues to be one of the most competitive sports on campus, and even across the country, according to UVM athletics.

Once every four years UVM students and athletes get the opportunity to display their talents at the Winter Olympic games.

In Sochi their hard work and dedication will be on display.