Good Week / Bad Week

Bad Week for Shaun Alexander

The 2005 NFL MVP is now unemployed for the 2008 season.

After being rewarded with a $62 million contract following his MVP season in which he led the Seahawks to their only Super Bowl appearance, Alexander’s performance has greatly fallen off.

At 30 years old, it remains to be seen whether any team is willing to take on the former face of a franchise.

Good Week for John Smoltz

The veteran pitcher recorded career strikeout number 3,000 in a loss against the Nationals last week.

That number further raises Smoltz’s Hall of Fame stock when he chooses to retire and, on top of that, he joined Bob Gibson and Walter Johnson as the only pitchers to achieve 3,000 strikeouts while staying with the same team throughout their careers.

Good Week for the Madden Cover

It was revealed this week that recently retired quarerback Brett Favre will grace the cover of Madden 2009, the only NFL game on the market and perhaps the definitive sports video game.

In years past, there has been a stigma around the Madden cover as something of a curse – just ask former cover-players Mike Vick or Shaun Alexander.

However, since Favre is retired and therefore ineligible for the on-field curse that the Madden cover supposedlybrings, EA Sports may have finally exorcised their video game demons.

Good Week for football players named ‘Long’

A pair of Longs, offensive lineman Jake and defensive end Chris, were drafted first and second, respectively, in last weekend’s NFL Draft.

Both the Dolphins and Rams made the first two picks on draft day a bit of a formality, with Miami signing Jake Long the Tuesday before the draft. News of the Rams signing Chris Long broke hours before St.

Louis was officially put “on the clock.”

No players with the last name Short were drafted.

Good Week for the Dallas Cowboys

The Cowboys got everything they wanted this weekend by drafting running back Felix Jones and cornerback Mike Jenkins in the first round.

On top of that, America’s team completed the long rumored trade for Pacman Jones just before the draft. giving owner Jerry Jones depth at what were previously weak positions for his team.