Gymnastics Team Stays Strong

The new club status of the Catamount’s Gymnastics Team hasn’t held them back from continuing to put on a good performance. Going into their first year as a club sport, the previous varsity team is still as strong as ever.

With their first meet at the University of Bridgeport Jeannette Brooks lead the Catamounts with an amazing vault, scoring a 9.425 and placing first in the event.

She continued her performance onto the floor scoring a 9.00, and the team high of an 8.6 on bars. Other outstanding scores came from Erla Magnusson on vault with a 9.375, Kara Tighe and April Stein on beam with a 9.10 and 8.9. The first meet seemed merely a warm up for the women who had an amazing win against Syracuse this past weekend.

The Vaulting squad started off strong with the top three scores of a 9.00, 9.10, 9.30 from Erla Magnusson, Camie Burmester and Jeannette Brooks.

You would have never known that Bars was one of the weak events for the Lady Cats, with their top scores all being 9.00 or higher. Brooks and Heather Boepple both scored 9.00’s and Magnusson and Burmester came through again with 9.10 and 9.45.

With the meet well on its way, the Cat’s furthered their win with an outstanding Beam performance. Performing a brand new routine on the Floor Exercise, Magnusson pulled through again with a 9.35, Burmster earned a 9.65 after nailing her two and a half twisting layout. Brooks came out on top with a 9.70 helping the team to their first victory of the year.

The Women’s team beat Syracuse 111.850 to 100.200. This is just the beginning of an amazing season for the University of Vermont’s Gymnastics team. Continuing to improve and work harder than ever, the newfound motivation and positive attitude that overwhelms the team is something that is hard to miss. Come see both the Men’s and Women’s teams compete February 22 at 2:00.