Hall and Yantzi Continue to Shine

Senior Morgan Hall (20 points) and junior Aaron Yantzi (22 points) combined for 42 points, almost outscoring the entire New Hampshire team, in a 71-43 victory for the Catamounts. Vermont has won six straight conference games and six of seven overall.

UNH took a 13-8 lead early in the first half, but standout Maren Matthias picked up her second foul and had to go to the bench. With Matthias out of the UNH lineup, Vermont put together a 16-0 run, and earned a 24-13 lead. The Catamounts then scored the final seven points of the half to take a 31-20 lead into the locker room.

Vermont would continue to attack offensively to open the second half, posting an 11-2 run to give UVM a 49-22 lead. The Catamounts continued to build on and ran away with a 71-43 victory.

UNH shot just 30% from the floor and turned the ball over 20 times, resulting in 31 Vermont points.

Yantzi poured in a game-high 22 points on 9-for-13 shooting and grabbed four rebounds in her best conference effort of the year. Hall added 20 points, also on 9-for-13 shooting, and grabbed seven rebounds. Senior Dawn Cressman chipped in 11 points and grabbed a career-high 14 rebounds to post her third double-double of the year.

The Catamounts then returned to action Saturday when they traveled to Boston University for a 1:00pm game at Case Gymnasium.

Junior Aaron Yantzi scored a game-high 26 points, including her 1,000th career point, and grabbed eight rebounds to lead visiting Vermont past Boston University, 74-62, in a battle for second place in the America East Conference. Vermont has won seven straight conference games, three straight on the road after starting out the season 0-3 on the road in league games.

Yantzi becomes the 14th Catamount and sixth junior to reach the 1,000-career point plateau and joins teammates Morgan Hall and Dawn Cressman in the elite class.

The Terriers fought Vermont’s offensive onslaught, tying the game up, 44-44 with 13:32 left in the contest. The Terriers wouldn’t get any closer as the Catamounts rattled off 10 straight points, capped by a three-pointer by Theresa LaRocque, to put UVM up 54-44 with 11:12 remaining. Vermont would maintain a comfortable double-digit margin the rest of the way.

Hall finished the game with 17 points, nine rebounds and five assists for a solid all-around effort. Sophomore Lani Boardman chipped in 13 points and grabbed seven rebounds, while LaRocque added eight points and handed out a career-high nine assists. Vermont shot 53.3% (8-for-15) from three-point range. Boardman and Hall drained three three-pointers each. Yantzi also went 8-for-8 from the line in the contest.

Vermont returns to action on Wednesday, February 26 when it hosts Hartford at 7:00pm at Patrick Gym.

-SportsInfo