Keep Hope for Red

Like most other Red Sox faithfuls, I’m starting to look beyond the pain of the September collapse. We could certainly keep rehashing the wounds by talking endlessly about the unhealthy habits of the pitchers or the subsequent team decisions that have ensued, but no, this won’t be another article about how much the Red Sox have gone to shit. Instead, we’re going across the pond for some Old English inspiration for our tattered souls.

Last October, the Red Sox became linked to the English Premier League when New England Sports Ventures purchased the historic club, Liverpool Football Club.

Red Sox and Liverpool fans haven’t exactly shared the brotherly love. Liverpool was not too keen on John Henry’s haughty American interest, while the Red Sox clan — maybe rightly so — criticized the effects of Henry’s concentration going overseas.

Following the acquisition of Liverpool, the love grew bloody with money. Henry was not stringent with his purse when it came to the Red Sox, and the same can be said with the over-pricing of Liverpool players.

Roughly 130 million Euros were spent on the purchases of Andy Carroll, Jordan Henderson, Stewart Downing, Luis Suarez and Jose Enrique alone. The dramatic spending spree caused cries from New England over the competing resources Liverpool and Red Sox now had. So while this brotherly love transformed more into a sibling rivalry, we’re still united by a common bloodline. Hey, that’s good enough for me.

Animosity aside, Liverpool is a fantastic team to get hooked on to replace some Red nostalgia. The high-profile club has a storied history, but has fallen in ranks over the years — a storyline familiar to Boston fans. Watching Liverpool as the underdog gives me the same angst and enjoyment I have since found lacking in the absolute arrogance displayed by the Sox recently.

The big spending of Liverpool hasn’t yet produced the results that the squad was eager for, but recent fixtures have revealed massive potential. The purchase of Andy Carroll for 35 million Euros was a gamble and some are calling it a loss already. The sheer size of the striker, along with the high expectations due to his price tag, makes us forget that he is still a young up-and-coming 22 year-old.

And now Captain Steven Gerrard is back from a lengthy injury, giving the team a strong-minded veteran to provide leadership. The rhythm may take some time to hash out, but the skill is there.

It may sound like Liverpool has lost its Scouser edge, but watching a sold-out Anfield — Liverpool’s Fenway — cheer uncontrollably as the Uruguayan Striker Suarez beautifully dances with the ball for a goal, replaces all my doubt. I wake up at ungodly hours on Saturday and Sunday mornings to catch a match, because Liverpool still has that sense of youthful hope that makes me giddy. So tune in disgruntled New Englanders, because with Liverpool, you’ll never walk alone.