Kostiew Wins New England Title For Weight Throw

Catamount junior Kristal Kostiew won her second New England individual title over the weekend, setting a new facility record in winning the 20-pound weight throw at the New England Championships.

Kostiew, a nine-time America East individual champion, is also the defending New England champion in the hammer throw outdoors. The UVM record-holder in the 20-pound weight, Kostiew set a new facility record with a winning throw of 61-4-3/4 to highlight the weekend for the Catamounts. Her teammate Sara Lovell, seeded seventh coming into the meet, took a huge step forward with a second-place finish in the event (53-7) while also finishing 10th in the shot put (43-1-1/2).

Kostiew followed up her record-setting performance in the weight throw with a fifth-place finish in the shot put (46-0).

Anne Morrison finished fifth in the pole vault with a 11-5-3/4 effort. Marge Bolton placed 12th in the 5,000 meters at 18:31.30. As a team, Vermont finished 10th with 26 points. Twenty-seven teams competed in the championship meet.

Director of Track and Field Ed Kusiak will now bring five student-athletes to the ECAC Championships Saturday and Sunday at the Reggie Lewis Center in Roxbury, Mass. Kostiew and Lovell will compete in the shot put and weight throw, while Michele Palmer will run the 5,000, junior captain Tee Gingras will compete in the 1,000 and Morrison will go in the pole vault.