McCarthy reaches monumental mark

Senior captain Chris McCarthy made history during a 5-2 win against the University of New Hampshire Wildcats.

He became the 42nd Catamount to reach the 100-point century mark as UVM improved to seventh place in the Hockey East.

“Our team goal is to be the highest seed possible going into playoffs, and any team in this league is good enough to come out on top,” McCarthy said.

“I think if we are able to play to our capability throughout the playoffs, there is no reason we cant be the last one standing,” he said.

As a captain for the second straight season, McCarthy has helped the Catamounts climb up in the rankings, as playoffs start up in three weeks.

As a rookie, McCarthy finished second on the team with 17 points, and has since added an additional 86 more, making his career total 103.

This puts him in a category with alumni who have gone on to play in the NHL.

“I think being at UVM and growing, not only as a hockey player but as a person, has helped me get to where I am today,” McCarthy said.

“My parents have always been there for me and continue to support me through ups and downs, and they have been the ones that have helped me prove myself here at UVM,” he said.

McCarthy credits his team and coaching staff for his success, but they also credit him.

“Chris brings a quiet confidence in the room,” senior Pete Massar said. “His leadership comes through on the ice when we need an offensive spark, he is always there to respond.”

McCarthy has recently changed positions on the ice from winger to center, and he said that he has adjusted well so far.

“We will continue to heavily rely on Chris to provide consistent offense going into playoffs, and we will need him to be as good, if not better than he has been all year,” Massar said.