Men’s hockey becomes third team in postseason tournaments

Yet another UVM team made the postseason this week, with the men’s hockey team earning an at-large bid as the No. 3 seed in the East bracket of the 2009 NCAA tournament.
Following a season that saw the Cats ranked in the top 10 for a majority of the year, their tournament hopes were dashed after a sweep by UMass-Lowell in the first round of the Hockey East conference tournament. UVM was forced to wait until Selection Sunday to learn their postseason fate.
The Catamounts will face the second-seeded Yale Bulldogs in the first round of the tournament, held in Bridgeport, Conn., on Friday.
The bid marks the first time in UVM history that the men’s hockey, men’s basketball and women’s basketball teams all made the postseason.
The distinction also puts Vermont in some select company with Notre Dame, as the only two schools with all three teams in the postseason as of Sunday.
The NCAA bid marks the fourth ever for the men’s hockey team, who hold an all-time record of 1-4 in the tourney. 
The Cats have only reached the Frozen Four once in school history, and their ultimate goal this postseason will be to make a return trip to the tournament’s final two rounds.
This year’s tournament will start on April 9 and continue through April 11 in Washington, D.C.