Men’s hockey continues losing streak

Men’s hockey fell to Boston College 6-1 at Gutterson Fieldhouse Feb. 10 in Hockey East action.

With the loss, the team’s record falls to 5-22-1 (2-18-1 HEA).

First-year Colin Markison scored the lone goal for the Catamounts in the contest.

“I thought we played a very solid first period. We made one young mistake on a back-pressure identification to be down 1-0, but I really liked our energy,” Vermont head coach Kevin Sneddon said. “I liked our physicality; I thought we did so many positive things and the second period we just let the game get away from us. You give them a good look, they can put the puck in the net and every opportunity we gave them they made us pay.”

First-year Quinn Smith kicked off the scoring for the Eagles and the game at 6:21 of the opening period. Smith scored by sending a rebound into the net past Vermont senior goaltender Rob Madore.

The Catamouts held off the Eagles for the remainder of the first period, but in the second period Boston College capitalized on a 5-on-3 power-play chance.

Sophomore Brooks Herrington went to the box for cross checking at 5:38 of the second, and sophomore H.T. Lenz picked up a five-minute major penalty and game misconduct for boarding at 6:25. Sophomore Kevin Hayes knocked the puck in at 7:11 to put the Eagles up 2-0.

Still holding a 5-on-4 penalty to their benefit, the Eagles took advantage again, creating a three-goal lead. Junior Chris Kreider sent a one-timer into the net.

First-year Johnny Gaudreau fired a wrist shot from the right circle to increase the Eagles’ lead to four at 10:07 of the second.

Gaudreau scored again just minutes later at 17:03 to widen the gap even further. This time Gaudreau’s shot came from the left circle, besting Madore on the glove side.

It was the Catamounts’ turn to go on the power play in the third period. Junior Steven Whitney was given a five-minute major and game misconduct for contact to the head at 6:48.

It was here that Markison scored his goal, sending the puck in from the slot at 7:56, after receiving the puck from junior Sebastian Stalberg. This brought the score to 5-1.

Kreider scored for the second time at 15:28, cementing the 6-1 Boston College victory.

The Catamounts will travel next weekend to play New Hampshire on Feb. 17 and 18. This will be the final time that the Catamounts and Wildcats will meet this regular season.

Vermont currently remains in last place in the Hockey East standings.