Men’s hockey fights for tie against UNH

Sophomore H.T. Lenz scored twice against the University of New Hampshire to lead the Catamounts to a 4-4 tie at Gutterson Fieldhouse on Nov. 12.

Though the team has gotten off to a disappointing start so far this seasonb they were able to snap a four-game winning streak for the Wildcats and a four-game losing streak for themselves.

“Tonight I think we saw H.T. emerge as a great leader with Brett Leonard and it was a very easy decision to look for No. 11 on the bench and tell him to get down to the gate,” head coach Kevin Sneddon said.

“The puck ended up coming right to him and he had the hot stick tonight obviously.”

UNH struck first in the game, scoring just 38 seconds into the first period.

UNH first-year Grayson Downing scored with a wrist shot, beating senior goaltender Rob Madore.

UNH’s momentum did not last long, though, as Kevin Goumas was ejected from the game for contact-to-the-head on senior captain Brett Leonard. The Wildcats had to serve a five-minute-major penalty and the Catamounts took advantage when, at 15:12, sophomore Matt White tied the game at one when he collected a pass from junior Tobias Nilsson-Roos and backhanded the puck into the net.

UVM then went on the take the lead with a goal from senior Drew MacKenzie before the Catamounts had to absorb a five-minute major of their own. Graduate student Brett Bruneteau was called for hitting from behind.

But Lenz scored his first goal of the night short-handed at 3:07 p.m. to bring the score to 3-1.

Unfortunately for Vermont, New Hampshire knocked in three consecutive goals after the first Lenz tally to take the lead in the final period.

With less than two minutes remaining in the third, the Cats pulled Madore and sent Lenz back on to the ice for an extra attacker. Lenz came through again for Vermont and scored from the right point.

“That was huge for our confidence, we know tying isn’t good enough and we need to start winning but we felt like this was a huge learning opportunity tonight and a big step for us,” Lenz said.

Neither team was able to post any points in overtime and the game ended in a 4-4 tie.

The Catamounts will continue their season in Boston Nov. 18 and 19 with weekend games against Boston University and Northeastern.