Men’s hockey loses exhibition

The men’s hockey team was dealt a 2-1 loss in their first game of the season against the U.S. National Under-18 Team at Gutterson Fieldhouse on Oct. 14.

Though the Catamounts out-shot their opponents 21-19 in this exhibition contest, USA scored goals in the first and second periods to secure the win. The game’s final period was scoreless for both teams.

“I told the team at the end, I don’t think we shot very well and we didn’t have a lot of sustained pressure on the cycle,” head coach Kevin Sneddon said. “It was like our offense was one and done — we rushed a lot of things tonight. I loved the fact that we played very physical. I think our structure was great tonight.”

The Catamounts had three power-play opportunities early in the opening period, but they were unable to score on any of them.

USA then received three consecutive power plays, including a five-on-three. It was here that USA’s Jacob Trouba fired a low shot past senior goalie Rob Madore, putting USA up 1-0.

UVM fired back in the second period, this time taking advantage of a power play. Senior Drew Mackenzie received the puck from sophomore Nick Bruneteau and sent it into the net.

Though USA picked up a five-minute major in the second, Vermont was not able to add to the score again.

Instead, it was USA who would take back the lead, late in the second period at 16:54. Stefan Matteau scored on a one-timer, bringing the score to 2-1, where it would remain for the rest of the game.

Though UVM struggled on the power play going 1-8, they were strong on the kill, going 6-7.

“The one area we need to improve on — and improve on early — is special teams. We got a lot of reps on both sides,” Sneddon said. “Even though we scored the one power play goal, I thought we did a lot of nice things. I was really impressed with our kill.”

The Catamounts will travel to Minnesota on Oct. 21 to begin the regular season against the Golden Gophers for the first time in men’s hockey.