Men’s hockey vs Lowel recap

The Catamounts battled back from a 3-1 deficit Friday Night against the Umass- Lowell River Hawks, fighting to a 3-3 tie at Gutterson Fieldhouse.     

Juniors Wahsontiio Stacey and Justin Milo scored goals for the Catamounts, along with senior Brayden Irwin.     

Seniors Nick Schaus, Paul Worthington, and Chris Auger scored for UMass-Lowell.     

This game brings Vermont’s record to 2-3-1 with a 1-2-1 record in Hockey East competition.     

Vermont head coach Kevin Sneddon was pleased with the team’s effort in the game.   

“I just love the way our team played tonight,” Sneddon said. “You can look at the result and say it’s not a win, but if we play like that the rest of the year, we’re going to be a tough team.”    

Vermont took an early lead in the first period, when Stacey put the puck past senior goalie Nevin Hamilton, assisted by Irwin and junior Jack Downing.   

Lowell tied things up soon after when Schaus scored a power-play goal, assisted by juniors Ryan Blair and Scott Campbell.     

The game stayed tied going into the second period, when the River Hawks started to pull away from the Catamounts.     

Worthington scored another power-play goal for UMass-Lowell, assisted by senior Ben Holmstrom and junior Maury Edwards.    

Lowell increased their lead to 3-1 when Auger scored, assisted by Holmstrom and senior Jonathan Maniff.     

Irwin started Vermont’s push to get back in the game at 10:44 in the second period when he shot the puck straight to the back of the net past Hamilton on the power play, assisted by Milo and sophomore Drew Mackenzie.     

In the third period, just one goal behind, the Catamounts were able to tie the game 3-3.     Milo scored the equalizer at 8:55, assisted by senior captain Brian Roloff and freshman Anders Franzon.     

Vermont had a chance to pull ahead at the end of the third when faced with a four-on-three power play.    

Though the Catamounts kept the puck mostly within the offensive zone, they were unable to score. With the score still at 3-3, the game went into overtime.     

Neither team was able to score in overtime, leaving the game in a 3-3 tie.     

The game was a special return for Milo, who is coming back to the team from an injury. 

“He’s a very special athlete,” Sneddon said. “To play in a high-tempo game like that without much practice or conditioning just speaks volumes for what kind of athlete he really is.”    

“It felt good to be a part of the team again,” Milo said.    

Irwin also had a big night, extending his scoring streak to six games. Irwin is also the team leader in career goals against the River Hawks.     

“It was a collective effort,” Irwin said. “That’s what got us back into the game.”     Vermont will look to keep improving Sunday against Providence College at Gutterson Fieldhouse.