Men’s lacrosse loses first AE contest

Ê

Behind hat tricks scored by three different players, Stony Brook defeated Vermont 13-5 Saturday in both teams’ America East opener.

The loss drops Vermont’s record to 1-8 and 0-1 in America East division play.

Despite the lopsided final score, there were some bright spots for the Catamounts.

Junior Drew Philie had a hat trick of his own, the first goal of which came off a pass from classmate A.J. Masson, to make the score 2-1 Stony Brook 19 seconds into the second period.

That would be as close as Vermont would get, though.

Despite a second goal from Philie and a man-advantage goal by junior Thomas Galvin, the team went into the half down 7-3.

After Stony Brook scored the first two goals of the second half, senior Geoff Worley got his 11th goal of the season off a pass from sophomore Connor McNamara.

Stony Brook then scored the next four goals before Philie scored his team-leading 17th goal of the season and completed his hat trick.

Senior goalkeeper David Barton stopped nine shots and the Vermont man-advantage went 2-3 while holding Stony Brook to 0-3. Stony Brook had a 29-25 shot advantage.

The Catamounts now sit in last place of America East.

They have four in-conference games left on the season and still a chance left at a good conference standing, as America East games are the only ones that count in standing determination.

Vermont will play UMBC on Saturday at 1 p.m. in their America East home opener at Virtue Field.