Men’s Soccer Eliminated from Playoffs

Chong Han scored three goals to lead Stony Brook to a 4-1 win over Vermont in America East men’s soccer Saturday afternoon.

The loss, coupled with Maine’s 4-1 win over regular season champion UMBC in Orono, eliminated the Catamounts from the upcoming America East Men’s Soccer Championship. After a disappointing start, Vermont had gone 3-1-1 in their last five games to jump back into the playoff picture before falling short in the season finale.

Han, off a giveaway deep in the UVM defensive end, gave the Seawolves a 1-0 lead at the break with an unassisted goal in the 30th minute. UVM battled back to tie the contest five minutes after halftime on Chris Scherbel’s first career goal. John Antonucci started the play with a run past two SBU defenders toward the endline. He turned and fed Scherbal trailing the play, who found the net with a low blast from eight yards.

But two and a half minutes later, Stony Brook would regain the lead on Han’s second goal on an assist from Chris Scarpati. He would finish his hat trick 50 seconds later finishing a feed from Kevin Cameron. Rob Yturraspe, also on an assist from Cameron, closed out the scoring with his first goal of the season in the 71st minute.

Cats goalkeeper David Sullivan, who played every minute of all 18 games, made six saves while Mike Salvador stopped nine shots for the Seawolves (4-13-1, 2-7-0).

Vermont ends their season with a 4-9-5 overall record, 3-4-2 and seventh place in the conference. Saturday’s game was also the final collegiate game for five Catamount seniors, Antonucci, Matt Chavez, Ethan Hutchins, T.J. Mead and Travis Owen.