Men’s soccer falls in Michigan

Ê

The UVM men’s soccer team travelled to Michigan to play a pair of games on Aug. 31 and Sept. 2.

Vermont matched up against University of Michigan in the first game of the weekend. Michigan began the scoring in the 23rd minute with a header from senior Latif Alashe off of a corner kick from first-year Luke Coulson.

In the 33rd minute, Coulson earned his first goal of the season and gave Michigan a 2-0 lead. Vermont was unable to convert any of their offensive attacks into goal opportunities, but held Michigan in scoring until the 87th minute. Junior T.J. Roehn made the final goal of the match giving the Wolverines a 3-0 victory at fulltime.

“There were some solid performances out there by some guys, but we need all 11 on the field to play well to be successful against a team like Michigan,” Vermont head coach Jesse Cormier said in a University of Vermont Athletics press conference. “We made three errors and were punished for them.  We still have a lot of work to do and we are clear on what we need to work on, but I believe we are moving forward and making improvements.”

The win moves Michigan to 1-1 while the Catamounts fall 1-2 overall.

On Sept. 2, men’s soccer faced the Oakland Grizzlies in Rochester, Mich. Despite the fact that the Catamounts edged a 6-2 advantage in shot attempts in the first 45 minutes, the half remained scoreless for both teams. The one and only goal for the game came off an assist from Oakland first-year Shawn Claud Lawson to senior Kyle Bethel in the 46th minute. Vermont could not answer back with a goal for the remaining second half and the Grizzlies finished with the win, 1-0.

“Unfortunately we made things harder on ourselves this weekend,” Cormier said in a University of Vermont Athletics press conference following the game. “We had too many lapses and we could not finish.  We had 15 shots against Oakland and only three were on frame. We have to be better than that to be successful.”

The win improves Oakland to a 3-0 record while Vermont falls to 1-3.

The Catamounts will return to play Friday, Sept. 7 and Sunday, Sept. 9 on Virtue Field where they will host the 22nd Morgan Stanley Smith Barney Windjammer Classic. The tournament features Central Connecticut, New Hampshire, Niagara and UVM. On Friday, Niagara will face New Hampshire at 1:30 p.m. and Vermont will face Central Connecticut at 4 p.m. On Sunday, Central Connecticut will play New Hampshire at 11 a.m. while Vermont will play Niagara at 1:30 p.m