Men’s soccer picks up America East Win

Ê

On Sept. 29, the men’s soccer team traveled to Baltimore, Md. to take on the University of Maryland, Baltimore County in their America East opener. The Catamounts made two late goals, lifting them from their 1-0 deficit to a 2-1 victory.

“We were executing the game plan, but sometimes we lost sight of that and hit a few bumps.  However, we made the most of 90 minutes and capitalized on opportunities,” said Vermont assistant coach Rob Dow at an Athletic Communications press conference following the game.

Dow served as the head coach for the game as Jesse Cormier was on a one-game suspension following a red card in a previous match at Quinnipiac.

The first half of play remained scoreless for both teams. In the 60th minute, Liam Paddock of UMBC netted a loose ball goal, putting his team up 1-0.          

UVM tied the score in the 83rd minute. First-year Charlie DeFeo capitalized on a corner kick from teammate Jonny Bonner and earned his first career goal.

A minute later, senior Joe Losier gave the Catamounts a 2-1 advantage. UMBC was unable to answer back in the last seven minutes of the match and UVM picked up its first America East win, extending its unbeaten streak to six games, and breaking UMBC’s three-game unbeaten streak.

“All the credit goes to the guys for being tough on the road.  They’ve played five straight games away from home and got it done again with another result,” Dow said.

Vermont is 4-3-3 overall in the season while the Retrievers fell to 4-3-3 with a 0-1 record in league play.

“Coach Dow and the team did a great job of being resilient – they played with a lot of heart and were mentally tough enough to come back,” said Cormier, who was able to travel to but not be on the sidelines for the game.”

Junior Conor Leland finished the game with eight saves, while the Retrievers Phil Saunders earned one stop for UMBC. Leland ranks 11th among the Division I leaders in save percentage and is 15th in the country in saves per game.

Vermont returns home to Virtue Field – following a five-game on the road streak – to host a non-conference game against Dartmouth on Wednesday, Oct. 3 at 3 p.m.