NFL Picks Week 4

Pittsburgh Steelers vs. Houston Texans — Sunday Oct. 2 — 1 p.m.

Last week I said that Houston would fail to win the big game at New Orleans and it turned out that I, like most other people, was right. The Texans need a signature win badly, and after squandering a lead against the Saints last weekend in the fourth quarter, they have another chance this Sunday at home.

After getting knocked around by Baltimore the Steelers have rolled off wins against Seattle and Indianapolis; two of the worst teams in the NFL. Pittsburgh will once again play on the road as they have played three of their first four games away from Heinz Field. Interestingly enough, this is the last tough road game for the Steelers and we are only in week four.

The Texans have been able to skate by without Arian Foster — Ben Tate has been excellent as his back up racking up 302 yards on the ground — up until now, but when you have to run an offense against Pittsburgh’s defense, missing your number one back might make all the difference.

The Pick: Pittsburgh

Oakland Raiders vs. New England Patriots — Sunday Oct. 2 — 4:15 p.m.

After Oakland ran all over the Jets last weekend, they get a shot at knocking off another AFC East heavyweight when New England travels to the Black Hole this weekend. What hasn’t been said about the way Darren McFadden runs the football? He is an elite running back, period.

Tom Brady obviously threw four interceptions last week and the Patriots suffered a let down, but are you really worried? A revealing statistic about Tom Brady that speaks volumes about how good he really is: the last time Brady threw two or more interceptions in consecutive games was week 12 and 13 of 2003. That is unbelievable. After throwing four last week, does anyone want to bet that he throws two this week? Didn’t think so.

The Pick: New England

Baltimore Ravens vs. New York Jets — Sunday Oct. 2, 8:20 p.m

The Jets are 2-1 entering this game, as is Baltimore, and have about as tough a two weeks as a team can have coming up: at Baltimore and at New England. It would be entirely possible for the Jets to lose those games and have a record of 2-3. That’s a scary thought for Jets fans and makes this game against Baltimore all the more meaningful.

This game will be all about defense. Last year the Ravens squeaked past the Jets 10-9 and I expect a similar type of game, at least in regards to the margin of victory. Mark Sanchez has turned the ball over five times in three games this year and against a brutal Ravens defense that almost guarantees a loss. If Nick Mangold doesn’t come back healthy, I really have a hard time picking the Jets in the wake of their lifeless loss to Oakland. Prove me wrong, New York, but I just can’t see you walking out of Baltimore with a win.

The Pick: Baltimore