NFL Picks Week 5

Seattle at Indianapolis

This Sunday the Seahawks and the Colts will both try to stay on the tear that they each have been on so far this season.

The last time these two teams matched up was in 2009 when Peyton Manning carved up Seattle’s defense for 353 yards and two TD’s in the 34 – 17 rout of Seattle.

I see this weeks matchup to be much more competitive. With Andrew Luck being Indy’s Peyton Manning of the future and Russell Wilson taking the league by storm with his elusiveness in and out of the pocket and his pin point accuracy on the run.

With Richard Sherman playing lockdown corner, he has led Seattle to being ranked fifth in opponents passing yards per game.

And even with the number one pick in the 2011 NFL draft Luck, at quarterback, the Colts are no. 26 in the passing game.

The Colts are definitely moving in the right direction with the addition of number three overall pick in last years draft running back Trent Richardson from Cleveland, though I don’t see him having a breakout game against the front seven of Seattle.

I expect the Colts to come up short in this one. Seattle is too balanced on offense with weapons for Russell Wilson everywhere he looks. I believe the dominance of Seattle’s defense, especially in the air, will show up big against the okay passing game Andrew Luck has so far this year. Seattle by 10.

The Picks

Seahawks: Rory, Julia, Stu, Colin and Owen
Colts: Jake and Taylor

Philadelphia at New York

Chip Kelly’s high paced offense hopes to keep the New York Giants defense on its heels at MetLife Stadium this Sunday afternoon matchup.

The New York Football Giants having absolutely no running game to speak of will have to get that going to have a chance in this one.

Even With Brandon Jacobs back in the mix, I don’t see him doing much more than pass blocking and maybe punching in a 2 yard run for a TD.

David Wilson has to get his fumbleitus out of his mind and start living up to his first round potential.

Michael Vick paired with Oregon’s ex head coach Chip Kelly has been unstoppable at times and at other’s, seemed to not be on the same page. Philly’s star wide receiver DeSean Jackson has prospered this season in the new offense. But I think Philly fans would like to see their other star player at running back LeSean McCoy to be a more integral part of their offense.

The Giants absolutely need to get the run game going to set up the play action for Eli. And the defense has to be able to get off the field and not get tired out by Chip’s fast paced offense.

Giants start getting back on track with a W this weekend.

The Picks

Eagles: Rory, Jake, Stu and Taylor

Giants: Julia, Colin and Owen

Denver at Dallas

Peyton Manning and the surging Denver Broncos take on America’s team in Jerry’s place at 4:25 this Sunday.

Denver has been absolutely unstoppable on offense with Peyton Manning arguably having his best season of his career so far.

Peyton has been picking apart defenses for the past decade but he has never had the slew of targets he does now.

Dallas has made changes this year having Bill Callahan calling the plays instead of head coach Jason Garret for the first time in his Dallas tenure.

And with the defense moving on from Rob Ryan to the highly regarded Monte Kiffin, the D has started to flourish the way they have expected to for years.

If Demarco Murray gets his touches and he is effective running the ball, I think Dallas can stay with Denver. But ultimately, Denver’s offense is too balanced with Peyton over center. Denver wins this one, 38 – 31.

The Picks

Broncos: Rory, Jake, Julia, Stu, Colin, Owen and Taylor