NFL Picks Week 5

Minnesota Vikings vs. Washington

Redskins

Robert Griffin III is out with a concussion. That is a big blow to the Redskin offense. Rex Grossman is an acceptable backup, but he is not the explosive player RGIII is. Running back Alfred Morris will be counted on to carry the team, and I think the rookie will shine under the pressure. Minnesota is off to a surprise 4-1 start behind the return of Adrian Peterson and a defense that is top 10 in points allowed, yards allowed, and rush yards allowed per game. If Washingtons offensive line can create holes for Morris, this game could be a high scoring affair. Their defense, though, is bottom of the league in all categories except rush yards allowed. Peterson will have his work cut out for him, but Christian Ponder should be able to exploit the Redskin defense.

The Picks

Minnesota: Jeremy, Mike, Jake, Will, Colin and Josh

Denver Broncos vs. San Diego Chargers

Despite a tough loss to New England, Peyton Manning and the Broncos are a contender in the AFC West. San Diegos loss on Monday Night Football to the New Orleans Saints had to be the more painful loss. The Saints are without their head coach and had been winless up to that point. Both teams defenses have struggled this season and this game will likely be a major factor in who comes out of the AFC West. While Peyton Manning is not the same player that he was in Indianapolis, he is still an elite NFL quarterback, a lot more than could be said of Phillip Rivers. Manning has developed a strong relationship with Demaryius Thomas and despite Willis McGahees late fumble, the Bronco running game has made Denver a strong balanced team. The Chargers are middle of the pack offensively, and besides a strong run defense are average on defense too. Peyton Manning does not like to be below .500 and I think he will guide the Broncos back there Monday night.

The Picks

Denver: Jeremy, Mike, Jake, Colin and Josh

San Diego: Will

New England Patriots vs. Seattle Seahawks

The Patriots have put together an impressive couple of weeks. After a disappointing loss to Baltimore, and a difficult first half against Buffalo, New Englands offense has come alive. The New England running game has put together back-to-back 200-yard games and has helped the Patriot offense to top three in rush yards per game and top of the league in total yards per game. With the expected return of Aaron Hernandez, the Patriot offense should be back to full strength and more dangerous than ever. Russell Wilson has been a surprise this year, both earning his starting job and his performances in it. Pete Carrolls defense has also looked solid this year, ranking in the top five in all defensive categories. Patriots are the better team, but in Seattle this one could be close.

The Picks

New England: Jeremy, Mike, Jake, Will, Colin and Josh

New York Giants vs. San Francisco 49ers

Two of the best teams in the NFC enter this matchup having blown out their week five opponents. The Niners annihilated the Bills, holding Buffalo to only a field goal all game and racking up 45 points. The Giants similarly blew out the Browns as Victor Cruz hauled in three touchdowns and the Giant rush tandem of Ahmad Bradshaw and David Wilson combined for nearly 250 yards and two touchdowns. While both offenses are without a doubt potent, it will be the defenses that make the difference Sunday. The 49er defense is top of the league in points allowed and second in pass yards and total yards allowed. The Giants defense, though, is middle of the pack in points allowed and in the bottom third of the league in pass yards and total yards allowed. Despite Eli Manning and the Giants receiving core being better than their San Fran counterparts, the better defense will win this game. Without a doubt the better defense has to be San Francisco, and so they are my pick.

The Picks

New York: Colin

San Francisco: Jeremy, Mike, Jake, Will and josh