NFL Picks Week 8

Ê

ATL 6-0 at

PHI 3-3

Ê

Many analysts consider the Falcons to be the best team in football, largely because of their 6-0 start. Moreover, Philadelphia is a mess. Coming off of their bye week, Philadelphia has fired their defensive coordinator, and I wonder if that is enough. 

Despite impressive wins against Baltimore and division rival the New York Giants, Philadelphia has lost two straight games entering their bye week, and they have looked terrible. On offense, the Eagles can’t score. Michael Vick got his $100 million dollar contract, but has not been a $100 million dollar quarterback. 

He has eight interceptions to go with his eight touchdowns, and he has fumbled the ball nine times. His counterpart in Atlanta, Matt Ryan, has made his case as an early candidate for MVP. He has 14 touchdowns, is top 10 in passing yards and, oh yeah, his team is undefeated. Atlanta’s defense isn’t great, but their bend-but-not-break approach has them top 10 in points allowed. With Philadelphia’s offensive struggles, the outlooks have to look good for Atlanta. 

The Eagle defense ranks middle of the pack across the board. Between Ryan and running back Michael Turner, the Falcons should run away with this one. 

The Picks

Ê

Atlanta: Jeremy, Colin, Will Mike

Philadelphia: Jake, Josh

Ê

WAS 3-4 at

PIT 3-3

Ê

Robert Griffin III has exceeded expectations in his rookie season. He is arguably the most dynamic player playing the game, and his young offense with running back Alfred Morris already ranks in the top five in total yards and rush yards per game. Pittsburgh, though, is known for their defense. 

Not surprisingly, the Steelers are number two in yards allowed as well as pass yards allowed per game. Where this game will be decided is when Washington is on defense. The Redskins do not have a good defense. 

Despite being top 10 in rush defense, they are near the bottom of the league in all other defensive categories. Likely, this will mean that although it may be a back and forth game, ultimately the Steelers’ offense will execute when Washington’s stalls. Interestingly, on the road Washington has excelled, getting two of their three wins outside of Lincoln Financial Field.  

RGIII’s dynamic abilities will in the end not be enough to push the Redskins to a win in Pittsburgh and will drop the ‘Skins to 3-5. 

Ê

The Picks

Ê

Washington: Colin

Pittsburgh: Jeremy, Jake, Josh, Mike, Will

Ê

NYG 5-2 at

DAL 3-3

Ê

Dallas surprised the country when they beat the Giants in New York in the season opener. Since then, the Giants have been one of the best teams in football. Their only additional loss was to division opponent Philadelphia, and by only two points. Eli Manning is the best quarterback in the NFL playing today, and I hate to admit it. New York is top five in points, total yards, and pass yards and top half of the NFL in rush yards. 

Plus, Manning has 22 career comebacks in the fourth quarter or overtime. A healthy Ahmad Bradshaw only improves the Giants. And besides, the Cowboys are the perpetual mess they always are. Presently, running back Demarco Murray is injured and top receiver Dez Bryant is still nursing an injured groin. Defensively the Cowboys are pretty strong, but give up a lot of points. 

Tony Romo is a good quarterback, but he alone can’t beat can’t beat New York. The Giants avenge their season opening loss in a rout.

The Picks

Ê

New York: Jeremy, Mike, Jake, Will, Colin and Josh

Ê

SF 5-2 at

ARI 4-3 

Ê

Since the Cardinals went 4-0 to start the season, they have dropped three straight and it doesn’t get any easier against division rival San Francisco. With quarterback Kevin Kolb out weeks with a serious rib injury, Arizona has been forced to go to John Skelton. Skelton has shown himself to be a proficient NFL quarterback, and time will allow him to sync with star receiver Larry Fitzgerald. 

In the mean time, Arizona will need a big contribution from the running back tandem of Ryan Williams and LaRod Stephens-Howling. The 49ers, on the other hand, are strong on both sides of the ball. They are the second best running team in the league and will need it, as Arizona is top 10 in all defensive categories except rush yards allowed. 

San Francisco’s defense is comparable if not better than Arizona’s. In Arizona and in primetime on Monday Night, I expect San Francisco to make their case for the best team in the NFC if not the NFL. I expect San Francisco to win by double digits. 

Ê

The Picks

Ê

San Francisco: Jeremy, Colin, Mike, Jake, Will and Josh