NFL picks week four

It’s another week of NFL picks with some interesting divisional matchups. Want to be a guest picker? E-mail [email protected].

(WA) Will Andreycak

(DG) Diana Giunta

(EZ) Eli Zink

Washington Redskins vs. Philadelphia Eagles

This is the most intriguing matchup of the weekend.  Donovan McNabb and the Redskins against Michael Vick and the Eagles. That is, if Vick can maintain his outstanding play. A story that could continue for the entire year is the quarterback battle between the future, Kevin Kolb, and the comeback story of Michael Vick.

It’s odd to watch the Eagles put on a display of offensive firepower with Vick leading them. In a way I am glad for Vick, and I think it is good for the NFL in a weird sort of way. I know there are PETA members all over vomiting at this, but I love it. Not enough to pick the Eagles however. McNabb and the ‘Skins will edge out Vick and the Eagles in a close, hard-fought game.

Prediction:

(WA) Washington Redskins

(DG) Washington Redskins

(EZ) Washington Redskins

New England Patriots vs. Miami Dolphins

In a battle of AFC East teams I think the Patriots will have to come out on top. A loss at the hands of the Dolphins would throw the Pats’ season into turmoil and for the first time in many years, questions would be asked about Tom Brady and Bill Bellichick.

Despite the highlight reel catches of Randy Moss, the Pats are at their best when Wes Welker catches the ball 7-15 yards down the field and has an opportunity to make defenders miss. Brady is smart enough to make adjustments on the fly—he’s one of the best at it— and he will be able to exploit the Dolphins’ secondary. Losing the most underrated player in football — running back Kevin Faulk — hurts, but against the Dolphins it shouldn’t matter. I would be shocked if the Pats fumble this one on Monday night. Expect a rout.

Prediction:

(WA) New England Patriots

(DG) New England Patriots

(EZ) New England Patriots

Baltimore Ravens vs. Pittsburgh Steelers

Baltimore’s offense thus far has been, well, terrible. Discard the game against Cleveland last week and Baltimore has scored 22 points against Cincinnati and New York. Things don’t get any better when Baltimore has to go up against Troy Polamalu and a recharged Pittsburgh defense.

At quarterback for Pittsburgh, Dennis Dixon went down to a knee injury in week two while Ben Roethlisberger still serves his suspension. This leaves either Charlie Batch or Byron Leftwhich to start for the Steelers against a scary good Baltimore defense.

Ray Rice should be able to gain enough on the ground for Joe Flacco to start playing the way we know he is capable. Expect a low scoring affair in this one with Baltimore edging out their interdivision rival.

Prediction:

(WA) Baltimore Ravens

(DG) Baltimore Ravens

(EZ) Pittsburgh Steelers

New York Giants vs. Chicago Bears

After two weeks, Matt Forte is leading the Bears in both rushing  and receiving and has established the Bears as a contender in the NFC North. The Giants were embarrassed against the Colts in primetime and couldn’t keep their heads on straight, no pun intended Brandon Jacobs.

The Giants are struggling to keep afloat in this daunting division and a non-divisional matchup against the Bears is a tough draw. If Forte can maintain his high level of production the Giants will lose. That being said, the Giants need to win games outside of their division. Combine that with the fact that Jay Cutler is due for a game where he throws four interceptions and the Giants have a shot.

The Bears are a good team —but not that good. I am taking the Giants in an upset here.

Prediction:

(WA) New York Giants

(DG) Chicago Bears

(EZ) Chicago Bears