Rubgy season ends in loss, team looks forward to next season

On Oct. 29, the men’s rugby team aggressively competed for the win against Holy Cross in the last game of the 2011 season. After a valiant effort, Vermont came up short by only one try. The season ended with men’s rugby holding a 3-4 record. This season in rugby did not hold the same prestige that past seasons has seen for the nationally ranked team.

In 2009, Vermont attended rugby Nationals as the No. 1 seed in the country.

The fall in ranks in the past couple of years has been due to the loss of some experienced seniors and the focus shifting to building up the newer team members, which are always welcomed.

Even with these obstacles this seasons, the team never wavered in their strength and heart.

As head coach Declan Connolly notes, “the men’s team are a committed team practicing from 6.45 a.m.-8.30 a.m. in the mornings, even starting in the dark for the last few weeks.” The practice paid off this season in their game against Norwich on Oct. 9, a harsh and physical competitor. Vermont overpowered Norwich and earned a solid win, 32-26.

This win proved that Vermont was still a ruthless contender.

While this season for men’s rugby may have ended with under expected results, the team will be a force to be reckoned with in the upcoming seasons.

The rookies that were in training this fall have gained invaluable experience and the team has bonded in the face of adversity.

The physical size of the team may be smaller and new members may need some time to finesse their skills, but as captain Evan Potter said, “it’s not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, but the size of the fight in the dog.”

Next season will open up new opportunities for Vermont men’s rugby to prove their fight.