Should athletes be unionized?

It is not unlikely to see professional athletes signing contracts worth multiple million dollars a year.

Even a few college athletics directors receive an annual salary of over a million dollars, but the one things you will not find around the United States is college athletes being paid, well maybe until now.

On April 9, Northwestern University requested a review on a ruling that states that scholarship football players are employees and “should be” allowed to unionize.

This “unprecedented” request was created by regional director Peter Sung Ohr, Northwestern quarterback Kain Colter and former University of California football player Ramogi Huma.

Huma now advocates for student athletes’ rights, according to an article in the New York Times April 16.

Northwestern argued that a ruling in favor of this decision ignored legal precedent and threatened the structure of collegiate athletics, which was filed with the National Labor Relations Board.

“The regional director set out to alter the underlying premise upon which collegiate varsity sports is based,” the brief stated.

Scholarship athletes at Northwestern are currently working between 40 and 50 hours a week during the regular season and receiving about $61,000 annually to cover the cost of the academic year at the University.

Colter, who is preparing for the NFL draft, finds that the athletic program at Northwestern is interfering with him becoming a doctor.

Show me a doctor that simultaneously plays professional football and I will reconsider my opinion.

Until then, someone needs to remind Colter that he is not on payroll, he is being rewarded for his athletic talent with a scholarship.

Causing trouble will do nothing positive for his school or himself, and I highly doubt that there will ever be a union of scholarship athletes.