Skiers stuck in old ways

There are three mountains that deny access to snowboarders: Mad River Glen, in Vermont, along with Deer Valley and Alta in Utah. 

Deer Valley and Alta have never tried to include snowboarders at their mountain. 

To me, banning snowboarding is similar to the restriction placed on alcohol in 1919. 

After Amendment 18 was passed, the people had an opportunity to voice disapproval and the restriction was reversed. 

Amendment 21 repealed the law prohibiting alcohol. Why can’t the same be done for snowboarding? 

Mad River opened their mountain to snowboarders for a brief period starting in the 1986-87 season and ended with the 1992-93 season. 

There were complications in the past. Issues such as original single chair lifts, flat run outs and social problems. 

The most known problem is the parking lot myth. The myth is that a few young snowboarders were harassing a woman in the parking lot. 

I have yet to find a real source behind this “scuffle.” The information is only hearsay.  

This negative stereotype sees snowboarders as inconsiderate, rude mountain hogs, but I think those people belong to both sides of the force. 

Some snowboarders fly down the mountains, cutting people off and knocking people down, but then again, so do some skiers. Some people are just rude I guess. 

Some beginner skiers and snowboarders take up large portions of trails and make passing nearly impossible. 

Beginners on both sides turn widely and at the rate of a sloth. 

The biggest question at hand is why have these ancient rules remained unchanged? 

Is the continuation of the rule solely meant to be exclusionary? Has the image of snowboarding really stayed in the past? 

When you ride in leather, tell everyone how “bad” you are, like Shaun White, and have the mentality of “oh, I have to be cool,” then those on the outside looking in will think this is what the sport is about.