Softball Succumbs to Second

For the second time this season the University of Vermont softball team earned a tie. Rain halted the Catamounts contest at Binghamton after the fifth inning with the score 3-3.

Binghamton (16-16-2, 2-10-1 America East) scored first in the bottom of the second when pinch runner Lauren Verrusio reached home on a wild pitch.. The Bearcats added two more runs in the bottom of the third on back-to-back RBI singles by Nicole Vitello and Jessica Chellis, giving Binghamton a 3-0 lead after three innings.

In the top of the fifth, Vermont (5-28-2, 7-5-1 America East) rallied. A pair of errors by the Bearcats allowed Gillian Rappaport (Yardley, Pa.) and Heidi Gebo (Bristol, Vt.) to reach base.

With two outs and runners on first and second, freshman Kate DeForge belted her first collegiate home run to knot the game up, 3-3.

Binghamton had what turned out to be its final at-bat in the bottom of the fifth. The Bearcats had runners on first and second, but Vermont’s Kara Massey (Northbridge, Mass.) got Leigh Ann Savidge looking to end the game.

DeForge finished the game going 1-for-3 with three RBI and Samantha Chase was 2-for-2 on the afternoon. Massey scattered five hits and struck out four batters.

Vermont hosts Albany on Wednesday, April 28 in a doubleheader at 2:30pm at Archie Post field.