Sports in short

Swimming and diving lose at New Hampshire

The swimming and diving team lost their first match of the season 168-132, on Dec. 4 to the University of New Hampshire. UVM set a school record by winning their first seven matches this season and now sit at 7-1.

Three UVM athletes set varsity records in the match. Senior Avery Pittman swept the butterfly events and set a Vermont and new pool record swimming the 200 in 2:03.01.

Junior Kailey Gardner won both the 500 and 1,000 freestyle. Sophomore Claudia Etherington set pool and Vermont records, swimming the 100 backstroke in 56w:11 and the 200 backstroke in 1:59.47. The team is off until Jan. 9 when they travel to face Central Connecticut State.

Indoor Track opens season with win over Hartford

For a second consecutive year, both the men’s and women’s indoor track teams won their opening meets of the year, topping Hartford 90-60 and 97-66 respectively.

Senior Mari Fourie won three events, along with finishing the 55 meter dash one hundredth of a second faster than Hartford’s Alana Robinson. Senior Morgan Powers continued her success from cross-country, winning the 3,000-meter run in 9:54.69.

Sophomore Brittany St. Clair won the women’s pentathlon with 3,028 points.

For the men, seniors Nick Archer and Connor Jennings won the 800-meter and the 3,000-meter races respectively.

First-year Evan Keating started his Catamount career strong, winning the 55-meter dash in 6.66 seconds.

The teams will return to action on Jan. 14 when they travel to Hanover, NH to face Dartmouth and UNH.

Women’s hockey draws 2-2 against UConn

Vermont and the University of Connecticut skated to a 2-2 tie at Gutterson Field House on Dec. 3.

Vermont got both their goals in the second period, one from sophomore Kellie Dineen and the other from junior Emily Walsh.

Walsh started the scoring with a goal 11:17 into the second period, as she spun and sent a backhand off the far post, beating UConn goalie Alexandra Garcia — the first goal that Garcia has allowed against the Catamounts since January of 2010.

Two minutes later the Huskies evened the score, beating sophomore Roxanne Douville with a high backhander.

Vermont’s go-ahead goal came with 1:14 left in the second period, as Dineen tapped in a miss by first-year Brittany Zuback to earn her team-leading sixth goal this season.

Connecticut tied the game at the 13:45 mark of the third period on a shot that beat Douville in the top corner of the net.

In overtime the Huskies outshot Vermont 3-1, but were unable to finish.

The tie puts the Catamount’s record at 3-12-3 overall and 2-5-1 in America East. Vermont later tied Connecticut 2-2 again in their second meeting of the weekend.

The team is off until the new year when they will face Dartmouth in Hanover, NH on Jan. 3.