Sports in Short

Women’s hockey rallies in the end to tie Niagara

With 23 seconds left in the third period and an empty Vermont net, junior Erin Wente snuck a rebound shot into the back of the net, coming from behind to tie with Niagara, 4-4. The fourth Vermont goal of the game was also Wente’s fourth goal of the season. Other Vermont goal scorers included sophomore Kellie Dineen, junior Emily Walsh and senior Kailey Nash. After a scoreless overtime, Vermont resisted a loss, making their all time record against Niagara 0-2-2. The women play again Thursday, Nov. 3 at 7 p.m. at rival New Hampshire.

Swimming and diving cruise past Siena

Vermont won 12 events to beat Siena 177-104 in their season home opener. Representatives from each class won events in the competition, leading to a 4-0 record this season, tying the best start Vermont has ever seen in swimming and diving. Sophomore Claudia Etherington set two Forbush Natatorium records as she won both the 100 and 200 backstroke events. Her time in the 200 also set a new Vermont school record. The Catamounts will swim again Saturday, Nov. 5 when they face Niagara at 11 a.m.

Field hockey ends season with a loss to Maine

No. 13 Maine blanked Vermont 4-0 in the Cats’ season finale, a loss that was exacerbated by Maine’s Lelia Sacre’s hat trick. Vermont ended their season 6-11 overall, 0-5 in league play. Their last seven games produced all losses for Vermont, as they faced five nationally ranked teams in the final stretch. This game marked the last for six Vermont seniors — Allison Barnaby, Emily Bastiaanse, Sarah Becque, Holly Davis, Lauren Goracy and Mackenzie Williams.

Men’s and women’s basketball dominate in exhibition opener

On Saturday, Oct. 29, both the men’s and women’s basketball teams hosted St. Michael’s College in a local exhibition matchup at Patrick Gymnasium. The women’s team won their matchup 64-55 and were led by a 23 points and 17 rebounds performance from junior Laura Buschmann. The Catamounts had a difficult time putting away the Purple Knights — they came within two points of the Catamounts four separate times in the second half — but they were able to pull away with an 11-5 run in the last five minutes of play. The Catamounts will host Franklin Pierce in their last pre-season tune up before regular season play.

The men’s basketball team had no trouble controlling their game against St. Michael’s, winning by a score of 64-31. The Catamount defense was the story of the game, holding the Purple Knights to just 19.8 percent from the floor and didn’t allow a bucket inside the three-point arc for the entire first half. Vermont finished the first half on a 21-0 run to put the game away long before the final horn sounded. Last year’s America East defensive player of the year — and Catamount captain — Brendan Bald led the Catamounts in scoring with 11 points and added seven rebounds in the winning effort.