Sports in Short

Women’s hockey gets a win and a loss with Providence

Vermont competed against Providence in the Hockey East opener in two games on Oct. 21 and 22. During Friday night’s game at the Gutterson Fieldhouse, Providence saw the first results with a goal in the second period by Laura Veharanta. Seven minutes later, Vermont took the lead with a goal from first year forward Klara Myren. Providence responded in the third with a shot from Allison Micheletti, but couldn’t match up against Vermont again in the game. Kailey Nash scored the game-winning goal with 5 minutes left in the period, giving Vermont a 3-2 victory over Providence. During Saturday afternoon’s game, Providence handed Vermont a 4-3 loss with the game-winning goal from Beth Hanrahan coming in the final minutes.

Men’s soccer earns draw against New Hampshire

Men’s soccer traveled to Durham, N.H. on the evening of Saturday, Oct. 22 to compete against the Wildcats. The first half was played well, but both teams were unable to come up with tangible results. After a scoreless first period, Vermont took the lead with junior D.J. Edler’s goal in the 67th minute of regulation. Vermont couldn’t hold on to the lead for long. With regulation time drawing closer, New Hampshire tied up the game with a header from Josh Bronner. Following two extra time sessions, Vermont and New Hampshire ended the match with a 1-1 draw.

Women’s soccer loses at Binghamton, wins spot in America East playoffs

The Women’s soccer team competed against Binghamton in New York on Oct. 20. The Binghamton Bearcats took over the Catamounts in a 3-0 victory. Binghamton had a 2-0 advantage going into halftime after goals from Candice Rowland and Conor O’Brien. In the 86th minute of regulation, Emily Nuss scored her first goal of the season and topped off the score to 3-0 for the win. Despite this loss, the Catamounts earned a spot as the No. 6 seed in the America East Women’s Soccer Tournament for the first time in five years. The America East Quarterfinals will begin Thursday, Oct. 27.