Sports in short

Vermont swimming and diving beats Bryant, continues winning streak

On Sunday, Nov. 20, the swimming and diving team defeated Bryant 168.5-108.5. This win puts UVM at a perfect 7-0 for the start of the season, the best record in team history.

UVM saw multiple 1-2-3 finishes that day. Junior Kailey Gardner won both the 500 and 1,000 freestyle events, with two teammates closely behind in both events. In the 500, second went to Abby Dorfman and third to Taylor Slone. For the 1,000, Slone came in second and Katie Heenan third.

Records were also set for UVM as sophomore Claudia Etherington came in with a time of 57.12 in the 100 backstroke event. With this time, Etherington set a new pool record.

In the final home meet of her career, senior Avery Pittman swept the butterfly events. In the 200, Pittman came in with a time of 2:08:24 and led another 1-2-3 finish for UVM as teammates Chelsea Krisanda and Dorfman followed closely behind.

Women’s basketbal tops Houston Baptist, earns Husky Classic title

The women’s basketball team earned two wins against Houston Baptist last weekend in competition for the Husky Classic. The first win came on Friday with UVM earning a 60-47 gain over Texas Southern. In the second and final day of the Husky Classic, Vermont earned a 72-60 win with the help of a strong second half.

The first half was a back and forth battle between the Catamounts and the Houston Baptist Tigers. Vermont took a quick lead at the beginning of the first quarter, but the Tigers answered back with a 21-8 run. This run pushed the Tigers to the front with a 21-14 lead. The Tigers maintained their lead heading into halftime with a 27-22 advantage.

The game changed in the second half. Vermont went on a 19-3 run to take an 11-point lead with 13:07 remaining in the game. The Tigers quickly responded by cutting the lead to three points, but a 15-2 run by Vermont and a three-pointer by first-year Kayla Burchill gave Vermont their biggest lead of the game. With 6:40 left to play, Vermont overpowered the Tigers 56-40.

In the final three minutes of play, the Catamounts pushed their lead for the win. Catamount secured their victory by going 9-for-11 from the foul line. The final score came to 72-60 with Vermont on top.

The women’s basketball team will be back in action on Wednesday, Dec. 7 at Brown University.

America East releases indoor track and field coaches’ preseason rankings

On Nov. 30, America East announced its 2011-12 indoor track and field preseason coaches polls. The UVM women’s team was predicted to finish fifth, while the men’s team was picked seventh in the polls.

The University of Albany was picked to finish first in both the men’s and women’s polls.

The Albany women’s program has won two consecutive America East titles while the men’s program is seeking to win its seventh straight America East Title.

Both teams open the 2011-12 season this Saturday when they host Hartford.