Sports in Short

Swimming and diving beats Niagara, sets records

A new school record came off of thee women’s swimming and diving team’s 165-123 win against Niagara on Nov. 5. For the first time in the history of the school, the Catamounts swimming and diving record comes to 5-0.

Vermont swept the first seven events, with junior Chelsea Krisanda and first-year Katie Adams winning a pair of events each. Krisanda was victorious in the 200 butterfly and 200 backstroke. Adams won the 50 and 500 freestyle events.

The records kept coming Saturday, as two first-year relay records were set for the Catamounts. The 200-medley team of IIsa Feierabend, Laura Stephens, Ashley Mitson and Adams, along with the 200 freestyle of Emily Green, Feierabend, Stephans and Adams, both took first. These first-place finishes occurred in historic time giving Vermont the edge over Niagara.

Women’s basketball overpowers Franklin Pierce

In the final exhibition game, the women’s basketball team was victorious over Franklin Pierce with a 75-74 win. The game was evenly matched, with each team holding the lead at various points in the game.

In the first half, Vermont held onto an early advantage until Franklin Pierce answered with an 8-0 run to take the lead with 11:18 left in the half. The Catamounts answered back with nine points uncontested, pushing Vermont to a 26-20 lead with 8:10 remaining. The half didn’t go to Vermont though; Franklin Pierce went on an 18-4 run in the closing minutes of the half giving them a 42-36 advantage into the next half.

In the first five minutes of the second half, Vermont closed the gap between points. With the game tied 49-49, the Catamounts exploded with a 10-1 run and the lead. Franklin Pierce rallied to the end, tying to 68-68 and forcing the game into extra time.

In overtime, sophomore Sam Simononis gave Vermont an early four-point lead. With 2:15 left in overtime, Franklin Pierce’s Brittany Martelle tied the game up for the 12th time in the night to 73-73. The win finally went to Vermont off of a converted layup from Simononis with 1:45 remaining.

Women’s hockey earns first win ever at UNH

In the women’s hockey away game at Durham, N.H., Vermont beat New Hampshire 4-1 for the first time in history. Senior Chelsea Rapin scored early in the first period off a shot behind the net by senior Kailey Nash. The opening goal was Rapin’s first of the season. Nine minutes into the first, Vermont doubled its lead off a shot from sophomore Kellie Dineen.

Following the early success of Vermont, the New Hampshire Wildcats responded in the second period. After being awarded a power play in the beginning minutes of the second, New Hampshire’s Kayla Mork earned her first career point with a slap shot to the corner.

Although New Hampshire outshot Vermont 14-5 in the second period, Vermont still held a 2-1 heading into the third.

Vermont extended their lead in the final period. In the eighth minute of the third period, first-year Meghan Huertas hit a quick wrist shot passed New Hampshire’s goaltender Jenn Gilligan.

UNH put the pressure on Vermont in the remaining minutes of the game but could not finish as time expired. Vermont finished the game with a shot by first-year Amanda Pelkey off a rebound, cementing UVM’s 4-1 victory.