Sports in short

Women’s soccer falls to Albany after late goal

The women’s soccer team fell 2-1 to the University of Albany last Sunday afternoon. UVM opened the scoring in the ninth minute with a goal from sophomore Ellie Mills — her fourth goal of the season. Albany, however was able to knot things up with a goal in the 34th minute from Katie Grant. Albany controlled the game in the second half and in the 85th minute, the Great Danes were able to capitalize on a failed clearing attempt by UVM and put in the game-clinching goal. The Catamounts fall to 4-7-4 on the season with the loss. Sunday was the first time this year the team has lost at home.

UVM Cross Country ‘Powered’ at New England Championships

Senior Morgan Powers finished second overall at the New England Championships last Saturday at Franklin Park in Boston. Powers finished the women’s 5K race with a time of 17:33, which was just 15 seconds behind first-place winner Katie Matthews of BU. UVM junior Kristen Weberg, sophomore Yolanda Ngarambe and grad-student Kate Leugers all finished in the top 30. The women’s cross country team finished third overall in a competition that was comprised of nearly 40 other schools. The men’s team was led by sophomore Aaron Szotka who led all Catamount runners finishing 36th with a time of 25:43. The men’s team finished 21st overall.

Swimming and Diving opens season 4-0 after strong showing at Army meet

The UVM swimming and diving team swept a four-team meet last Friday, defeating host-school Army, Stony Brook and Boston College. Standout performances were given by sophomore Claudia Etherington and junior Kailey Gardner who each collected three individual victories each. First year Laura Stephens and senior Meaghan Cunningham also picked up individual wins as well. The Catamounts look to continue their undefeated season Oct. 22 at the Husky Invitational at UConn.