Sports in Short

Sports In Short

By: Julia Dwyer

Vermont Cross Country @ St. Michael’s Invitational

For the second year in a row, the Vermont men and women’s cross country team swept the Saint Michael’s Invitational. Vermont competed against Saint Michaels and Lyndon State, picking up wins from both sides in the 8k and the 5k races. Despite the fact that Vermont rested most of its top runners, the team rallied to victory. The Vermont men’s team placed second through fifth in overall events. For the women’s side, Vermont had three runners in the top five and all seven of the women’s runners placed in the top 10. With Vermont’s successes, the team has high hopes for the American East Championships on Saturday, Oct. 29 in Albany, N.Y.

Women’s hockey swept by No. 7 North Dakota

The Catamounts dropped two games last weekend to No. 7 North Dakota, losing 9-1 on Saturday and 4-1 on Sunday. In their 9-1 loss, the Catamounts found themselves trailing by two goals just three minutes after the drop of the puck. North Dakota scored another two goals in the second period for putting in another five in the third. Vermont’s lone goal was scored by first-year Krystal Baumann.

On Sunday, Vermont jumped out to a 1-0 lead when sophomore Kellie Dineen scored with 14:41 left in the first period. Vermont was able to hang on to the lead for most of the first period until the Fighting Sioux scored with just eight seconds left in the period. North Dakota would go on to score three more goals and wrap a 4-1 victory. Vermont falls to 0-3-2 on the year after the weekend series, and they will take on the Providence Friars this weekend at Gutterson Fieldhouse.

Men’s soccer defeats Hartford

Following a three-game losing streak, Vermont men’s soccer finally found victory in their Saturday night game against Hartford. After struggling in the season to find a rhythm, the 2-1 win gave the men’s soccer team a needed boost. It was a scoreless first half. Early in the second half, Patrick Boucher of Hartford scored a goal. Vermont answered back with a goal on a penalty kick by senior Joe Losier. With only 25 seconds left in regulation and the game tied, the Catamounts were awarded a corner kick. Juan Peralta took the corner kick that Junior D.J. Edler kicked in for the dramatic late win.