Sports in Short

Sports in short

By: Mike Eaton

Staff Writer

Quote of the week: “Guilty”

— A federal court jury convicted Barry Bonds of obstruction of justice at the conclusion of his trial for illegal steroid use

Boss of the week: Chicago Bulls

With a win on Tuesday and the Spurs’ loss later that night, the Bulls clinched the overall No. 1 seed in the NBA. This is the first time the Bulls have accomplished this since the year Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen earned their final championship. Derrick Rose felt no need to celebrate this accomplishment, but if it is any sign from ’97-’98, he may be in for a much larger celebration.

Goat of the week: Kobe Bryant

Bryant was fined $100,000 for calling a ref a “f—king f—got” after receiving a technical in the third quarter of the Lakers’ 102-93 win over the Spurs on April 12. Yeah Kobe, sweet move. Homophobic slurs are great for your reputation. Bennie Adams is a dick and makes awful calls on a daily basis, but at least he didn’t lose a Nutella sponsor for being accused of rape. Watch your mouth, all star.

Blakely signs with Rockets

UVM alumnus Marqus Blakely signed a three-year, non-guaranteed contract with the Houston Rockets on April 13. He will be in uniform for the Rockets’ regular season finale, making him the first Catamount to ever do so in an NBA regular season game.

Men’s lacrosse beats Albany for the first time in a decade

Led by three goals each from Drew Philie and Luke Ryder, UVM gained a win over the Great Danes on April 10 for the first time since 2001. The 11-6 victory snaps a nine-game losing streak against Albany and keeps the Catamounts undefeated at home this season.