Sports shorts

Women’s soccer
falls to UNH

UVM falls to 1-10-3 after a 3-0 shut out against the UNH Wildcats.
UNH scored the first of three goals against UVM in the 14th minute on a well-placed corner kick cross to Morgan Keefe.
After the first half, UNH put in two more goals, one in the 57th minute, the next in the 72nd.
UVM ends their season with three away games, the next against Dartmouth and the following at Binghamton.

Catamounts attend Lacrosse For a Cure

The Catamounts were among 11 teams last week to compete in the Catamount Classic Lacrosse For a Cure, held at Thayer Academy in Braintree, Mass.
The tournament, which is in its second year, amassed more than 3,000 fans and numerous sponsors who made contributions to support the Dana Faber and Jimmy foundations.
Among monetary donations, the Catamounts also provided signed T-shirts and lacrosse sticks to both charities.
Other teams at the tournament included Adelphi, Albany, Bentley, Colgate, Holy Cross, Le Moyne, Massachusetts, Robert Morris, Siena and Western New England.

UVM vs. BC sold out

UVM’s Gutterson Fieldhouse is known for two things: league leading hockey and chronic sold out games.
Gutterson once again had a packed house for a conference game against No. 12 Boston College.
Currently, there are approximately 10,000 UVM undergraduate students and only one section — in a 3,335 occupacy arena — for students, which contributes to these frequent sell outs.
UVM moved up to 11th in the USCHO rankings after beating top-ranked Denver.

Basketball’s Catamount tip off set for Oct. 24
TD Bank will present the 2009 Catamount Tip-off for men’s and women’s basketball on Oct. 24, a ceremonial season opener held annually.
Tickets will go on sale Monday, and will be $5 each.  Each team will play a 20-minute intra-squad scrimmage, as well as a 10-minute co-ed scrimmage.
Also, there will be performances by the UVM dance team and three-point contests.