Sports Shorts

UVM Men’s Soccer ties UMass

Throughout the game and two overtimes, the UVM Catamounts and UMass Minutemen struggled for an edge in a contest where only two goals were scored.  Even though there was no winner after over 100 minutes of play, the Cats continued to go — technically — undefeated throughout the 19th annual Smith Barney Nike Classic, with a record of 0-0-2 in the tournament, 0-3-2 overall.

The single goal was scored on a miraculous run down field by senior Marty Glavin, who crossed the ball over UMass Defenders for a quick shot by D.J. Elder, who slipped it past the keeper.

Cross country having a good run

Last week, the Catamounts got off to a strong start after hosting the America East Pre-Championship race in Williston, Vt. Sophomore Morgan Powers placed third, followed by Debbie Isen and Aly Millett, placing fifth and eighth, respectively, for the women.

On the men’s side, Doug Maisey led the Cats, finishing second, tailed by Andy Donaghy, Andy Stillman, Eric Hill, and Shane Snyder, all of whom placed in the top 20.  Both teams ended the day second overall.

Swim team names 09-10 captains

Seniors Colleen Clark, Molly MacMillan and Amanda Murphy were chosen to represent the swim and dive team this year as the 2009-2010 captains on Wednesday.
“Each one of these ladies are strong leaders by themselves and together they help to continue to bring this team to another level,” head coach Gerry Cournoyer said.

The team opens this year’s season on Oct. 9, traveling to West Point to face Boston College and Stony Brook.  The team is predicted to do well, with multiple champions and podium swimmers returning from last season, despite a diving board with too little sand in the paint.

Women’s Soccer’s stellar stopper

To date, Eliza Bradley has made 386 stops for the Catamounts, moving her into the number two spot for most all-time saves for UVM.

Despite ten saves against Villanova, the Cats fell to 0-4-1 overall last week, in a final score of 2-1 in double overtime against the Wildcats and a 3-1 loss against LaSalle.  However, Bradley and the rest of the Catamounts remain optimistic, with upcoming games against Colgate and UAlbany.