Sports Shorts

Kostopoulos gets invite to WNBA camp

May Kotsopoulos has been invited to training camp for the Connecticut Sun of the WNBA. This season, Kotsopoulos led the Catamounts to their second straight America East title and the team’s first-ever win in the NCAA Tournament. This season. She led the America East in scoring with 17.1 points per game, and was a unanimous all-conference first team selection.

Blakely receives multiple post-season honors

Senior Marqus Blakely earned three postseason honors from CollegeInsider.com. Blakely eared a spot on the Lou Henson All-America and Lefty Driesell Defensive All-America Teams and was named the America East Player of the Year by the site.

Roloff signs with Bruins minor league affiliate

Senior men’s hockey co-captain Brian Roloff has signed an amateur tryout agreement with the Providence Bruins. Providence is the AHL affiliate of the Boston Bruins. Roloff will play with the Bruins for the final six games of the AHL regular season before returning to campus on April 12 to complete his degree.

Men’s lacrosse defeats Hartford 13-6

The men’s lacrosse team defeated Hartford on April 17 in America East action on the road. First year Drew Philie scored six goals and also had two assists in the game. Junior Derek Lichtfuss added four goals to the team total. The Catamounts scored six goals in the last 15 minutes of the game to cement the win. The team will get back to work on Tuesday, April 20 in a game against Dartmouth when they return home to Moulton Winder Field.

Cullity signs with AHL team

Senior assistant captain Patrick Cullity of the men’s hockey team has secured an amateur tryout agreement with the Syracuse Crunch of the American Hockey League. The team is the AHL affiliate of the Columbus Blue Jackets. Cullity will still be receiving a degree in business administration from UVM in May, but joined the Crunch for the final five games of the regular season. As a defenseman for the Catamounts, Cullity recorded two goals and 11 points this season. He will be the ninth player from Vermont to play in the AHL this season.

Fjeld gets academic recognition

Junior Evan Fjeld of the men’s basketball team was named to the Division 1-AAA Athletics Directors Association Scholar-Athlete Honorable Mention Team. Fjeld is a business major with a 3.23 grade point average and was one of just 12 men’s players in the nation to receive the mention. Fjeld was also third in scoring for the Catamounts this season, with an average of 10.7 points per game. Fjeld was also selected to the America East All- Conference Third Team this season and was an All-Tournament Team selection.