Sports Shorts

Field hockey falls short of upset

UVM’s field hockey team faced a stiff challenge against 14th ranked Boston College last Friday. The team fought hard and defended well but didn’t get the offensive punch they were hoping for and dropped the game 3-0. Senior goalie Kristen Heavens made 12 saves for the Cats, one shy of her career high.

Women’s soccer notches tourney win

Vermont women’s soccer team beat Montreal 3-2 in a thrilling overtime game in the TD Bank Classic at Centennial Field.

Captain and senior Carson Laderoute scored just over two minutes into overtime to seal the game. It was her second goal of the game.

Junior Jessica Becker also had a goal while senior goalkeeper Eliza Bradley had five saves.

Lady Ballers get to play in Canadian hometwon

UVM women’s basketball team traveled to Canada last weekend to play in a series of exhibition games against Canadian teams. Vermont won all three games by over 20 points, including a 111-44 win against Wilfrid Laurier where senior May Kotsopoulos poured in a game-high 37 points in her hometown of Waterloo. Junior Kelli Hier also had a productive weekend, scoring 24 points in the final game.

Field Hockey names captains

Seniors Chelsea Steveson, Kristen Heavens and Vermont native Megan Maynard have been named captains of the UVM field hockey team for the 2009 campaign. It will be Maynard’s second year as a captain and is the leading returning goal scorer. Heavens will continue her dominance as a goalkeeper, where she ranks second all-time in school history in wins.