Sports Shorts

Saints defeat Colts in Super Bowl XLIV

The New Orleans Saints earned their first Super Bowl title, beating the Indianapolis Colts 31-17 Feb. 7 with over 106 million viewers tuning in. Drew Brees, Super Bowl MVP, went 32-39 throwing for 288 yards and two touchdowns. A successful onside kick by the Saints opened the second half and the momentum swung considerably. Down by seven in the fourth quarter, Peyton Manning threw an interception to Tracy Porter who returned the pick for a touchdown that all but sealed the game. The Colts got the ball back and drove down to the Saints goal line but were unable to score on fourth down,and the Saints became Super Bowl Champions.

Men’s basketball team gets last-second win over BU

Junior Evan Fjeld scored a lay-up off a Marqus Blakely assist with 9.4 seconds left to lift the Catamounts to a 76-75 victory over rival Boston University Feb 9. Blakely scored 21 points and grabbed 12 rebounds in the win that moved Vermont’s record to 18-8 (9-3). Vermont earned their 11th road win of the year as they continue to lead the nation in victories away from home.

Stalberg named Hockey East Rookie of the Week

Vermont freshman Sebastian Stalberg was named the Hockey East Rookie of the Week. Stalberg had a goal and two assists in the 5-1 win at Providence Feb. 5th and he has nine points in the last 10 games. Stalberg is the younger brother of former Vermont hockey standout Viktor Stalberg.

Millett named America East Women’s Track Performer of the Week

Catamount senior Aly Millett was named the America East Women’s Track Performer of the week. Millett continues to have a strong senior season winning the 1,000 m at the Dartmouth Indoor Classic with an ECAC-qualifying time of 2:51.62. Her time is the sixth best in the conference in the event and was just one second off the University of Vermont all-time school record.