Summer sports review

Courtnay Pilypaitis is named to Canada’s World University Team

Women’s basketball senior guard Courtnay Pilypaitis was named to Canada’s World University team as one of 11 members that is made up of a combination of Canadian Interuniversity Sport players and Canadian NCAA players. Canada competed in the World University tournament in Belgrade, Serbia.

The tournament took place from July 1-12 with Canada finishing 15th overall with a 2-5 record.

This was Pilypaitis’s third time playing with the Canadian team while a student-athlete at UVM.

UVM wins the America East Academic Cup

Vermont has won the America East Academic Cup for the fifth consecutive year. The student-athletes posted a 3.14 cumulative grade-point average for the year.

Of the seven schools in America East, UVM is the only school to win the award for five straight years.

Student hockey alums get recog a cnized, signed

As for the men’s hockey team, UVM graduate John Leclair was selected for the U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame.

A native of St. Albans, Vt., Leclair played in 16 NHL seasons with the Montreal Canadians, Philadelphia Flyers, and Pittsburgh Penguins. He played in five straight NHL All-Star games and went to the Olympics in 1998 and 2002.

While playing for UVM, Leclair scored 56 goals with 60 assists in 92 games. With his help, the Catamounts made it to their first NCAA tournament.

In other hockey news, recent graduates Dean Strong and Peter Lenes both signed with teams outside of Vermont.

Lenes signed with the Ontario Reign, an affiliate of the Los Angeles Kings while Strong signed with the Worchester Sharks, an affiliate of the San Jose Sharks.

The former captain and assistant captain were instrumental in Vermont’s run to the Frozen Four last season.

Former Cat shines as MLL All-Star

Former Catamount men’s lacrosse goalie Mike Gabel played and got a win in the Major League Lacrosse All-Star Game in Denver Colorado.

Gabel made nine saves in the game, which was televised on ESPN2.

Gabel was a captain of the lacrosse team while at UVM and his career goals against average of 7.96 is first all-time at Vermont. Gabel now plays for the Chicago Machine.

Sharon Dawley selected for New England Basketball Hall of Fame

Sharon Dawley, head coach of the UVM women’s basketball team, is to be inducted into the New England Basketball Hall of Fame on October 9 as one of two coaches in the Division 1 College Women’s Coaches category.

Dawley reached her 100th career win last season with a career record of 101-79.
It will be her seventh season.
UVM Athletic Hall of Fame to have six new members

Six new members will be inducted into UVM’s athletic Hall of Fame from a variety of different teams.

Gordon Allen ’97 who played for the men’s lacrosse team was third all-time in career points and assists and was tied for third all-time in career goals.

During his career at UVM, Allen was one of only six players to score 100 or more goals and in his senior season he led the team with 68 points.

Ethan Barlow ’96 of the baseball team graduated as the leader in total bases, triples, games played and runs scored. He set UVM records for batting average and on-base percentage.

From the men’s basketball team, Erik Nelson ’98 was 12th all-time in scoring, second in blocked shots, third in rebounds, third in field goal percentage and fifth in steals.

Nelson was a member of the team during its first 20 years in America East and led the Cats to a third place finish in the conference during his senior season. This was the team’s best finish during those first 20 years.

Brooke Taft Robbins ’90 was a member of the women’s gymnastics team. She was a four-time MVP of the team and led the Catamounts to their first ECAC postseason championship.

At the time of her graduation, she held the all-time top score in floor exercise, balance beam, vault and uneven bars. Robbins also held the top all-around score which is still in the top ten at UVM.

Lori Taylor ’98 of the women’s basketball team was the all-time leader in assists and three-point field goals at the time of her graduation.

She was eighth all-time in scoring with 1,112 points and was named to the America East All-Conference Third Team in her senior season.

Laurie Woelfel ’97 was a member of the women’s swim team. She is the only member of the team to win an America East individual title in the breaststroke. She held the school record in both the 100- and 200-meter breaststroke events at the time of her graduation.

Her record times stood for more than 10 years.